Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ready Or Not?

Am just back from the Aust Open tennis semi-finals in Melb. Saw some fabulous games and thoroughly enjoyed the distraction from tapering which I always find difficult. So, with just 5 more days to go til the Cradle Mt 82km ultra the big question to myself is: am I ready?

On the YES side:
I've trained long and hard:
* ~130km every week
* weekly long runs between 30-50km
* 85% of runs on undulating/hilly trails
* incorporated walk breaks in long runs and done some walk specific training
* gradually built up the weight in the hydration pack and carried it on all long runs
* experimented with real food on long runs and have a menu that works for me

On the NOT SURE side:
Perhaps I could have:
* run more >50km runs
* carried the pack at weight race on more runs
* done longer walk specific training
* done or not done something else training related that I don't even know about(!)

And then there are the What Ifs?
What if something goes wrong and it all turns to poo?
* what if I don't make the progressive course cut-off times - then I'll be running too slowly and deserve to be taken off the course
* what if I have to walk a lot either because of terrain or fatigue - then so be it, it's not a race, it's a run and that's what attracted me to it in the first place (refer to all event promotional info)
* what if carrying the pack gets too hard - then too bad, I'll just have to tough it out
* what if I get hurt or injured (eg snake bite, attacked by leeches, fall and break something etc)- then I will have some new additions to the "shit happens" file I have built up over 25+ years of running/racing.

So .... all things considered, there are two possible answers to the question "am I ready?" One is: How do you ever know? The other is: if I think I am ready then I am. I'm going with option (2). Bring it on!

p.s. Weather forecast: Heavy rain Tues-Fri. Sat (race day): showers, min 4deg, max 14deg. Read: WET, COLD AND VERY, VERY MUDDY.

10 comments:

Two Fruits said...

What you have written above is the next big step towards this ultra. You have done very well to get this far, you know your strengths ( and you have many ), your weaknesses will be found out on the day. A few trips over Mt Tennent with the back pack would have been an advantage as well as technical trails. I saw the pictures and video on a link off the coolrunning thread. I hope you at least get a fine day, the wet and mud will then be manageable. Ewen now has a guide for the beer bet, he gets first guess.
Good luck, you will go well, there is plenty of mental toughness in your body and head.
Glad you enjoyed your time at the tennis. Go Roger tonight !!

Jog Blog said...

You are obsessed with Mt Tennent Two Fruits! Good for you! But, Mt Tennent is not the only Mt to train up/down, and running up/down it is not the only way to train. If I run rubbish @ Cradle Mt it won't be because I didn't run up/down Mt Tennent X no. of times.

As for the bet, I'm not interested. I'm going out there for an enjoyable run/walk/climb. I'm not interested in anyone else's expectations. If I get to all cut off points, including the finish, by the time limits I'll be smiley. My bet on myself is just to finish.

Stephanie said...

I can't believe it's finally here!! That and that it can get that cold in parts of this country at this time of year. Brrrrrr!!! I think I'm glad I didn't offer to be your support crew.

You'll be great Liz. You're doing what you do so well. Can't wait to hear how it's all gone.

Jog Blog said...

Thanks Steph. Really appreciate your support and encouragement.

Two Fruits said...

I'm not obsessed with Mt Tennent at all. In fact probably won't get there again until spring later this this year. Mt Tennent has 2 good tracks on it, both are 7 kms long, the front very rocky and technical, not runable in parts. The back runable fire trail, very good for quads up and down. Totally different tracks.
May be we should agree to disagree about mountains and ultras. Good luck at Cradle Mtn.

Jog Blog said...

Didn't mean to offend Two Fruits. You've done lots more ultras than me. My few 45km events hardly count compared to your ultra track record. It's just that I've trained hard for Cradle Mt and worked all my training around other busy stuff in my life including work, travel and kids. Your organised runs @ Mt Tennent just didn't fit. And at this stage of the game I only want positive reinforcement and encouragement, not doubt, that's all. Sorry if my previous post was cranky.

Ewen said...

I'm only cranky because Roger won in 3 sets. I wanted him to win in 5 ;) My bet is:

1. You'll have a great time.
2. You'll arrive at the finish covered in mud and Pam won't be there because you'll be too fast. She'll want double pay for doing your washing.
3. You'll remember to pack toilet paper in your pack for the what-ifs.

You're ready! And Cradle Mtn isn't that hilly ;)

Two Fruits said...

I bet you'll beat Pam to the finish. I have looked at the weather forecast for Lake St Clair, rain on Thurs night & Friday but sunny and cool on Sat. That will be good for the run. The lake will be nice for a swim and a wash the mud off at the finish. Don't take any notice of Mt Read weather forecast, it's well away on the west coast, not really near where you will be.

strewth said...

Woo hoo - the time has come. You have done heaps of training, you look amazing - you go girl. Just go out there and enjoy the event. Very best of luck for a fabulous day. I am so looking forward to reading all about it. I'm also looking forward to you running with the speedygeese in a few weeks. It will be great to have you join us. :)

Jog Blog said...

Thanks for all the good wishes. Best case, I run/walk decently in perfect weather in a beautiful place. Worst case, I run/walk VERY slowly in rain and mud but still in a beautiful place. Either way, it will be an adventure!

I'm also looking forward to doing some speedygeese sessions in a few weeks and have some totally different running plans for post Cradle Mt. So, regardless of how this little foray into ultra running goes, I have much to look forward to running wise.