Monday, July 6, 2009

No Marathon PB But Happy

I had a great weekend at the Gold Coast running the marathon, catching up with some friends and being warm for 48 hours.

I ran the marathon in 3.12 which although not close to my PB was the fastest of the five marathons I have run in the last 5.5 months (ie, 3 standard marathons, 45km Six Foot Track, and 45km Great Ocean Road) so I felt satisfied. I paced hard and evenly from the start to 35km and then my speed started to fade even though my level of effort was the same or more. I'd given it all I could by then, I'd run solidly and I just had to hold on and finish as well as I could.

It's always easy to wish you'd done better even when you know you couldn't have but when I slip into that kind of thinking I try to remind myself of the facts. The facts in this case were that I ran 42km @ <4.5mins/km. That's not lazy. And in terms of placings my run was respectable.

http://live.timingsports.com/res/View.asp?id=1000&athID=M1606


A number of my friends also ran at the Gold Coast. Only a couple ran the marathon, most ran the 1/2 marathon or 10km. Some had good days, others had days they'd rather forget but they will be stronger for the tough experience. Special congrats to Steph who ran her first ever half marathon. I'm so proud of her.

So, what's next?? The pull of more marathons vs a long ultra marathon remains the biggest decision for me. I'll use my recovery time to come up with an extravagant "I want to do everything but know that's ridiculou" plan. Stay tuned ....

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Aw thanks Liz. It was you who inspired me, I owe you such big thanks! I can't even comprehend the speed you move at.

What's next I wonder?

Keep me updated on the marathon vs ultra decision.

Two Fruits said...

Consider this when making decisions, it's easier to go down in distance than to go up. It's only fine tuning, as in getting some speed back. Going up in distance is a major step, a big exciting step. After that everything else is easy.

Ewen said...

Woohoo! I can taste those beers now.

Sorry Two Fruits.

You looked to be moving pretty well down the finish chute. 4th in your a/group is worth writing home about. 4:30 ks isn't hanging around - I couldn't do that for 10!

Yes, work out the 'do everything' plan. Ray James did it all the year he broke 3 hours. You can do it too.