Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Who Decides?

I often find it hard to choose which events to race. There's always so many to choose from and I always seem to want to do too many of them too close together. But .... a totally different issue arises for me when choices or decisions are taken away. As I said in my previous post, I'm not likely to be a starter in the Commonwealth 100km in the UK in Sept for a mix of reasons - mostly financial, work and/or home related. I was dealing with that, thinking that the Tan Ultra 100km in Melb in August was a good alternative and had some advantages in terms of giving me the chance to prove myself over 100km before representing anyone other than myself or running a similar distance under tougher conditions - ie, overseas. But now ... the Tan Ultra 100km has just been cancelled because of problems with City Council approval and prohibitive costs. Ugh!

So ..... now I'm deciding on whether or not to run the Bush Capital 60km this weekend (can't think of a good reason to do it at the moment) and/or which of the 4 possible August marathons to run as a replacement for any August-September ultra.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I actually sort of know what you mean.

I have been looking at all the upcoming events and I just have no idea where to start in terms of which one I want to do next. I know that whichever one I choose finances won't really be a deterrent (credit card bill? what credit card bill?) but to choose what isn't too soon or too far into the future is a nightmare. And narrowing it down from the list of options is worse.

At least I don't have as many choices as you!

Ewen said...

Let us know about the 60 before Friday so we can organise the beer bet.

You'd enjoy the Wagga Trail Marathon.

Jog Blog said...

Now you are talking. Wagga does look like my kind of marathon. And it's on the same weekend that the Tan Ultra was scheduled for so it could be a fitting replacement. Hmmmm .....

Steph ... Wagga is a nice place for a running weekend.