I started tapering proper for the marathon this last week. I ran 2 quality sessions (1X14km @ race pace on Mon and 1Xintervals on Thurs), with just short, easy runs on the other days, including yesterday (Sat). Today (Sun) I ran 21km very easy in the morning (picking up Two Fruits for 13-14km of it) and then a second run of 6km this afternoon. That's it. My marathon build up is done.
This week will be even more tapered. I plan on doing a couple of runs @ race pace (8km each) and the rest will be "nothing runs" (ie, very short, very easy) or "nothing" proper (ie, rest days).
I'm back to where a good taper won't necessarily make a good marathon but a bad taper will definitely make a bad marathon. So .... even though it goes against the grain, this will be a lazy week by design.
12 comments:
Isn't tapering a waste of a good running week. I expect a good result at G C. Don't hang back, go go go.
The other post had a spelling mistake.
Hmmm .... define "good result"????
OK, I'll go a six-pack with Two Fruits. My bet is you'll run between 3:03:30 and 3:06:59.
It's frustrating to be wasting all these mild days with a taper!
You are on Ewen, I'm going just outside PB, refer " ordinary marathon runner" on left. So I pick sub 3 hours, 1 second under will do, but I hope for PB. Share the beer, it will taste good.
You are both much more confident in my ability than I am! I was thinking anything under 3.10 would be respectable.
And yeah, not enjoying the taper at all so far. Still feel tired and heavy in the legs which makes my mind think I'm just fat and unfit - Eeek! Hopefully the mental and physical ZING! will kick in before Sunday morning.
You should have brought back some Tassie beer with you Steve. I like Boag's. Drinking their 'Classic Blonde' at the moment - low calories - perfect for runners. Make sure it's cold!
Under 3:10 is very respectable, under 3:00 is very good, so good I win the beer. Don't hang back in the last 10 kms just so Ewen wins. Certainly like "Classic Blondes", as in beer. The others are Ok as well, as long as they can run.
You guys are hilarious. You talk as if I have some control over how fast/slow I can run a marathon. I wish!
In my little blonde mind I am having a bet each way. If i run a decent marathon then I'll do a few more of them. If I run depressingly slow then I will immediately shift my focus to ultras where my methodical, steady pace and long endurance background can be put to better use. Either way, I win - ie, I get to keep running lots. Sounds good hey?
You keep your little blonde mind on the 3 hour pacer, then sprint past with 100 metres to go. Don't hold back. I'll share one of Ewen's beers.
Yea, that's a good solid result, can't wait to hear the story on how it went. No beer to Ewen.
Post a Comment