Sunday, June 21, 2009

Not Tempting Fate

Last Thursday's short but quality session was good to get done after 5-7 days of plodding through fatigue.

I resisted the temptation to go backwards into fatigue by running the Canada 10km Fun Run this morning and opted for a cruisey run on the muddy trails instead. It was so quiet and still. I had Mt Majura to myself. I think there was both a mental and physical training benefit in that even though it was hard to let a familiar, favourite event go by without participating in it. Sigh ....

Ewen, my experience of repeated failed behaviour is that >120km per week and the law of diminishing returns really cuts in.

3 comments:

Two Fruits said...

Kerrie B is one tough lady to keep going with those problems. I would take 9:25 hrs as a great result. That's the agony and ecstacy of ultras. You never know what is going to happen.

Ewen said...

I agree Liz, unless the runner was working part-time. 120k a week for a slow runner like myself takes as long as 150k would have 20 years ago.

Two Fruits said...

Entry price - Now if I run 170 kms in 24 hours at Caboolture, that's $ 1.00 per km. I would hope to do more than that, not much but more. But I do get a fed, watered and looked after and a T-shirt, so maybe a bit less than $ 1.00 a km. Still better value than most marathons these days. Over $ 2.00 per km, lucky to a banana.