Thursday, June 18, 2009

Resting Up VS Tapering - Clarification

Well Two Fruits .... I guess by resting up I mean backing things off so I can get one more burst of training energy for 1-2 more decent sessions before deliberately winding back and storing energy for a marathon - ie, tapering.

The hard thing about feeling fatigued is estimating how long it's going to take before feeling fresh again. Sometimes you only need 1-2 days. Sometimes it takes a week. My biggest mistake has always been letting my mind take control of that decision rather than my body. Today I had a bet each way. I did a decent session but it was short. I think I got the balance right. I'm sure my body will let me know tomorrow and the next day and the next day and .....

2 comments:

Two Fruits said...

Now I understand, but make sure it's not peaking too early and being just over the edge by race day. Tapering in winter is easy, no excuses needed to have a day off. Take care in the next couple of weeks, a good marathon is on the way.

Ewen said...

Some days I wish the body would give my brain a good talking to!