Friday, April 9, 2010

A Long Short Week & 100km

For a short week post Easter this week has felt L - O - N - G. Must have been all the busy end of term stuff etc. Or maybe I just got used to long weekends very quickly!

The 100km Tan Ultra has just had all its Council approvals etc finalised and is set to be a happening thing in Melb on 15 August. Yey! The field is limited to 50 runners and it's first in, first served so keen 100km running readers might like to think about entering soon.

I noticed from the 100km Tan Ultra entry info that there will be prizes for the winners and that all finishers will receive a certificate. I reckon that anyone who finishes 100km deserves a medal and I have offered to donate medals to all finishers (including to the finishers of the ~53km event).

7 comments:

Two Fruits said...

Thanks for the info Liz, will check out the site and enter early. Then hope I hold together until Aug.

Jog Blog said...

Ditto.

Ewen said...

They should have no trouble getting 50 'crazies' to sign up ;) Now you just have to decide which direction to run!

Jog Blog said...

Very interesting point Ewen. Clockwise is harder than anti-clockwise and yet on paper all performances and finish times are going to look as if they were run over the "same" course. You know what? I think I'll still run clockwise because I'm fond of rises in the road and clockwise the road definitely rises more than anti-clockwise. I wonder which way Two Fruits will run? I think he'll opt for clockwise too.

Two Fruits said...

To be real honest, I have never seen the track, don't know anything about the track or the rise and fall. It seems that on this run, you can go which ever way you want. So on the start line, half the field faces one way and the other half goes the other way. Best part, you then see half the field twice a lap. Is that good or bad ?

Jog Blog said...

The track is dead flat except for one rise. Clockwise it's a bit shorter and sharper than anti-clockwise but we are talking "small rise" here. Think about the rise behind the Governor-General's residence if you are running anti-clockwise and you'll have the picture. As for the track itself - ~50% ashphalt, ~50% compressed gravel. And yeah, you can run whichever direction you want in the Tan Ultra 100km but whichever way you choose you have to stick with. No changing direction part way through. That's it. That's all there is. Still want to do it?

Ewen said...

2F, yes, it's 'dead flat' if one is a mountain runner ;) Actually, I wouldn't call Anderson Street gentle. It's significant - yes, about the same slope as the steep hill beside the Governor General's.

So, it's a choice of a short 'steep' bitumen hill and longer compressed gravel hill down if running clockwise, or longer gentle hill and steep down if running anticlockwise.
If runners have to keep to the left, then anticlockwise would be shorter, but nearly all who run the tan run clockwise so you'd be against normal traffic.