I got a bit carried away today. It's 2 weeks until the Canberra marathon and although I'm approaching it as a "training marathon" in preparation for my "goal marathon" - ie, Christchurch in June - I still need to taper and today was meant to be a tapering medium-long run - ie, no more than 25km. But ..... I had the opportunity to run the trails with my "old" (read: longstanding but much younger than me!) training partner, Triathlon Trav. I ran a lot with Trav in 2006-2007 and credit achieving my PB marathon of 2.59 in July 2007 at least in part to the training we did together then. Over the last 12+ months though we haven't trained together much at all as he's been totally consumed by Iron Man training. So, today was an "old time's sake" opportunity to run and chat for a couple of hours, and it was so fun. But .... the net result was a longer than I should have run 32km at a pace that was faster than I should have run. Two notes to self: (1) tapering starts NOW, (2) a 2.59 marathon is so not going to happen again. Sigh ....
It was a sparkling day out there today. Just beautiful.
3 comments:
It's always good to run with "old" friends, plenty to chat about covering the past. It was a great day for running, enjoy your taper.
Yes, it was a spectacular day. The views over the lake from the cleared part of Stromlo were the best.
2:59 is just a number. A very good number, and at least you've done it! Maybe look for one of those downhill courses, like St George in Utah ;)
Very lazy day today - ie, I stuck to note 1 to self (above) and started to taper.
Yes, Ewen 2.59 is just a number. But, it's one I'm glad I've achieved. My running has come full circle - from pure enjoyment to obsessing over a particular number/goal, to finally achieving it, and now I'm back to running for the pure enjoyment of it all over again. Each phase has been satisfying in its own way but I'm most happy being where I am right now.
Post a Comment