According to the dictionary a taper is "a gradual decrease ..." in whatever it is you are talking about. In marathon running terms a taper is a gradual decrease in the quantity of running training (although it is okay to maintain some intensity sessions as long as they are less frequent and shorter than usual). Ideally, a taper should also incorporate a reduction in other energy sapping activities - physical, mental or emotional - so that you are able to fully rest and freshen up for whatever the big event is that you are tapering for.
Except for the reduction in the quantity of training (which I have done very well!), my taper for the Canberra marathon next Sunday has been very sub-standard so far. I don't think anyone would call having an exceptionally busy week at work, a houseful of teenagers on holidays and Special K in hospital (home now thank goodness) a good taper.
What I am wondering now is ... is it possible to do a "catch up taper" in the 7 days pre marathon and run (half?) decently on race day?
Always the optimist, my positive thinking tells me that even if I don't end up with the benefit of a good taper, I will have the benefit of all consuming distractions and no time to be nervous! Every cloud has a silver lining ....
2 comments:
Start a reverse taper from now, just use next weekend as a normal solid training day. Build up thru the week instead of rest. Won't hurt, may learn something, you'll be rearing to go on Sunday. See you there, I'm not running. It will still be a fun day. Enjoy.
No time to be nervous counts for a lot. Early to bed and late to rise this coming week!
Post a Comment