Saturday, May 30, 2009

Staying Focussed

I often have several running goals - 1 short term and 2+ medium-long term goals. At the moment I'm concentrating on my short term goal - ie, the Gold Coast Marathon. I just want to run it as well as I can. I'm not expecting an all time PB, but I'm hoping for a 2009 PB. Since Gold Coast will be marathon/ultra marathon no.5 for the year I think that's a fair expectation to have. I ran 32 decent kms today with that in mind.

Because of very busy family stuff I had to run really early this morning and although I dragged myself (whinging to self!) out of bed to do it, I think I got the best of today's weather - ie, it was sunny and the breeze was slight - whereas by the time I got home from the kids' soccer late this afternoon it was bleak, cold, windy and my toes were numb! Brrrr .....

It was good to have GEM on the bike next to me for the middle section of today's run. There's a lot to be said for breaking long training runs into sections and having some distractions for getting through the "work" part. Chatting to someone along the way certainly helps.

The next couple of days will be pretty easy running days for me. It takes me longer these days to recover from both long runs and speed sessions. That's just how it is and to get the benefit of the quality sessions I have to take the proper recovery time.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Your toes might have been numb, but I bet they looked fabulous in your new boots!