Sunday, April 7, 2013

Easter Injury :(

My normal high level of busyness plus more has resulted in it being 2+ weeks since my last blog entry. And you know what it's like, once you slip behind, trying to catch up seems so hard that sometimes you stop trying and you never catch up. Ah .... but with daylight savings finishing last night, I have an extra hour this morning and so here I am catching up - with blogging at least (let's be realistic, there's only so much catching up you can do with only one extra hour. I need about 100 extra hours at the moment!). Now .... where was I? .... ah yes, Ballarat ... After our long weekend in Ballarat I had another average (read: tired) few days of training leading into Easter. I think 18+hrs of driving over 3-4 days negated the relaxation effect of the weekend in the country as did being over busy at work trying to compensate for the time the Easter public holidays were about to take away from productivity. Given all that, we were very glad to have Easter at home. We got some ticks off the chores list, thoroughly enjoyed some time at the National Folk Festival, and I got through the running block I had set myself ... well, almost(!) .... in the last one km of my 23km run I turned my ankle (see pic). Yikes! Fortunately, I was so close to home that I could hobble the last km and get the ice onto it straight away. I was super diligent with the ice, having it on/off on 20min cycles for 2 hours immediately post injury and I'm sure that made all the difference in the world. I was back running a couple of days later, albeit tentatively, as running on the flat with very predictable flexion and extension was ok but the slightest lateral movement was dangerously painful. It's still blue now but not swollen any more and I'd describe it as uncomfortable rather than painful. Given that I'm heading into marathon taper week, I'm confident that it should be "all good" by marathon day.

5 comments:

Jog Blog said...

Note to Self: I injured my ankle on the only day I didn't wear my HokaOnes on the Mt Majura trails. What does that say??

Ewen said...

That's the ugliest ankle I've ever seen! Ouch! Glad it wasn't caused by falling off your platform shoes.

Saw that Meb Keflezighi is out of Boston due to turning his ankle when chased by a dog. Hope all is OK for Canberra.

strewth said...

Don't you just love that extra hour in the day - even for one day it makes such a difference! I know what it's like to get behind with blogging - it's frustrating and stressful. I guess it's addictive! I do hope all that ice treatment has brought down the swelling of your poor ankle. It really was a nasty accident - ouch! You will have to buy those Hoka One One road shoes for your next marathon:)

Jog Blog said...

Yes Ewen a "simple" twisted ankle can have a major, bad impact :(

Definitely Ruth! I'm really looking forward to trying the HokaOne road shoes. I love the trail shoes and I'm curious to see how the same technology goes on ashphalt.

BTW Ruth, does the Runners Shop sell race number bands - you know, the bands that you strap on to which you can attach your race number instead of using pins? I'm curious because it's always a problem for me starting events (I don't call them "races" anymore - hehehehe...) and being freezing but having to take layers off before I'm ready to just so my race number can be seen. Please let me know. Ta lots :)

strewth said...

Yes Liz and I'm working tomorrow so I'll organise that in time for brekkie Wed:)