Whenever I have a running set back I tend to head for the hills - both literally and metaphorically. In other words, I go back to running on the trails around home, which is my (running) comfort zone, and I tend to run alone to regain my sense of self and (running) perspective. After my Canberra Marathon DNF last weekend I immediately headed for the Mt Majura and Mt Ainslie trails and hills. Interestingly, my knees are nowhere near as sore when I run on the trails, particularly in my HokaOnes. The undulating terrain combined with a softer surface and spongey HokaOne landing is definitely better for my knees. That's my little revelation. I'll be staying in the hills and on the trails for awhile yet.
5 comments:
Lucky my next goal race is a trail race.
Stay off the road, at least for a while until both knees & confidence return to health.
You should be Ok in WA, nice gentle surface out in the bush.
You're doing the 6" track??
Agree that soft surfaces, grass, trails are good for the legs - good for the reflexes too, trying to avoid doing a CJ on exposed rocks.
Until you have a serious musculoskeletal issue/injury you wouldn't credit the difference the surface and terrain make. I can do twice as much on soft trail as I can on bike path or road - that's not to say I'm doing lots of kms(!) but at least I'm out there running. Next goal event is the Kep 100km in WA in June. My goal is to finish within the cut off - ie, even if I'm the last man/woman standing/walking :)
100k! I guess the numb brain will subdue the pain from the dicky knees ;-)
Post a Comment