Marathon taper = less running, more kayaking :)
Well, it's taper time. With just one week until the Canberra Marathon it's time to accept what training has or hasn't been done, wind things back, eat well, rest up and work on the mental approach to the event. I've done enough training, I'm more accepting than normal of winding things back (courtesy of my ankle injury and over tiredness), I'm always happy to eat well(!), and resting up comes with less training. That just leaves the mental approach. This time, my mental approach to the marathon is simple but different to lots of my previous marathons. It's my new 50yr old mental approach to marathon running and it goes like this:
"I am 50yrs old. I have run the fastest marathon I am ever going to run. I'm proud of that. I still love running for its own sake. It is a big part of who I am. At 50yrs old I reserve the right to run exactly how I feel and that includes slowly."
4 comments:
That looks great - I'm promising myself that when I retire I'll take up kayak cross-training.
Glad you haven't fallen as far behind in your blogging as Ruth did. I get nervous if I go more than 2 weeks without blogging.
At each new decade, the realistic goals change. No more of what I could do in the past, it's the now & the future.
Blogging is part of my mental plan to keep focused. It's really not much to do with what I write of even who reads it.
Have a great week Liz, I hope the foot is Ok by next weeeknd & you get to enjoy a good marathon. Good luck, run well.
I love your mantra. I know you will run well. Just nurse that ankle this week and have plenty of rest. I'm looking forward to our carbo loading brekkie on Wed!
Oh yes! Bring on the carbo loading breakfast and our girlie catch up :)
Post a Comment