Saturday, March 23, 2013

HokaOne Convert

Well, I'm a HokaOne convert! My new HokaOne Stinson Evo trail shoes are awesome! They are quite unlike any other trail shoes I have ever run in both in look and feel. They look "big and "heavy", with an outersole which is deliberately oversized, but in actual fact they are neither big or heavy. Rather, they fit my narrow foot snuggly (and I note that lots of wide footed runners who have reviewed them recommend sizing up a size because despite appearances they are narrow on the inside), and they are <11oz (270g) which makes them nice and light for a trail shoe. In terms of feel, the two most striking features are (a) the minimal forefoot which makes you feel like you are naturally rolling forward, (b) the soft midsole foam which makes you feel like you are running on a very well sprung treadmill. As soon as my running $$ budget permits, I'm keen to purchase a pair of HokaOne road running shoes to see how they compare to both the HokaOne trail shoes and also conventional road shoes. Stay tuned ...

Apart from rolling around the hills of Mts Majura and Ainslie trail testing my HokaOnes, this week has been a solid week of training leading into my taper for the Canberra Marathon.

And right now, I'm enjoying some running in Ballarat while visiting my mum. I never get tired of running on the Steve Monegetti track around Lake Wendouree :)

5 comments:

Ewen said...

Give my best wishes to your mum.

That's a great review. Would love to try a pair - I have a wide foot, so wouldn't buy them unseen. If they can make the bike path feel like a sprung treadmill - woohoo! Will you be wearing them in the marathon?

Jog Blog said...

Am home from Ballarat now. My mum ALWAYS asks after you and Ruth. She'd love you both to visit her in Ballarat. We should arrange a Ballarat running weekend - yes?? It would be so fun :)

My HokaOnes are trail shoes so, no, I won't wear them in the Canb marathon. But ... I hope to buy the HokaOne road shoes soon and if they impress me just as much as the trail shoes then I would wear them in my next road marathon. Am just not sure what my next road marathon post Canberra will be .....

Ewen said...

That'd be good. Perhaps to coincide with a race? I think Aths Vic have a major winter series race at Ballarat - a half marathon if I recall.

Jog Blog said...

Yes, and there's Run Ballarat. Plus there's runs in Melb we could always do and then have Ballarat recovery - ie, my mum's awesome country cooking :)

strewth said...

Oh it all sounds lovely, especially your mum's cooking lol! I think the problem with my Hokas is that they might be half a size too small. They are definitely bouncy but I can feel my big toe hit a ridge and have decided not to wear them in the marathon. I think I need to break them in a bit more. I did feel comfortable on an 18km training run so I just might need more practice in them. I have restarted my blog so many times. I will have another attempt soon!!