Monday, March 11, 2013

Some Quantity & Some Quality

Long weekends are great! This long weekend I've managed to cram in quite a bit of running plus a return trip to Sydney for a full day training course.

My long weekend started on Friday with a long run with Pam. We ran slow and steady as it was all about "time on legs". We ended up clocking 40km. Then, after a shower and some "power packing" I drove to Sydney where I stayed over night before my course started at 8am Saturday.

Saturday was essentially a recovery & cross training day. It started with a short, easy jog in the morning and was followed by a full day of strength, balance, coordination practicals at my training course. The course was excellent and had a triple benefit - ie, (i) it gave me an additional qualification in coaching/training rehab & frail clients, (b) fulfilled all my continuing education requirements for my ongoing ESSA registration for this year, and (c) gave my own body a very good strength, balance and coordination workout :)

As soon as the course finised at 6pm on Saturday I jumped in the car and drove home. My tried and tested rationale was that I'd rather drive home slowly, with several rest breaks, and be home in time to have two full days at home than waste 1/2 day the next morning driving home. It proved yet again to be a good strategy as it was lovely to get up at leisure at home on Sunday morning :)

The only thing about "getting up at leisure" is that that means running later in what became quite a warm day. Oh well .... I still managed 12kms of hills and since my run was never going to be swift after the preceding 2 days, it was a quality session of a different type - ie. strength endurance.

That all brings me today, the last day of the long weekend. Special K had pre entered the Sri Chinmoy 10km and so at breakfast time I made a snap decision to do it too. We got there early for me to enter, which proved to be a good idea as there were so many people who clearly had the same idea that the race organisers delayed the start by 10mins to cater for all the late entrants. Although my days of running fast have gone, I enjoyed running a shorter, sharper run/race, finishing in 46.20 on a "not flat" course. I came 8th female outright and 1st female in my new age group >50yrs :)

So .... there it is/was - a full weekend all round, including some quantity and some quality running. Now all I need to do is put in several months of more of the same. That sounds a lot easier than I think it is going to be.

7 comments:

Ewen said...

That's odd - don't think your post showed up in my Google reader feed. Anyway, good weekend. Pammy's running pretty well in the Tuesday 5k races. 46:20 isn't too bad! That's a tough course. Congrats on the 1st place too.

Jog Blog said...

Hmmm .... weird ... others have said my blog posting doesn't show up in their Google feed either. Why would that be?? I wonder what the fix is?? Pammy & I have been doing most of our training sessions together. She's in good marathon/50km form. She should smash the Canberra 50km :)

speedygeoff said...

The comments show up in my google feed though. Perhaps you should routinely add a comment to each post so we know you're talking!

Ewen said...

Something in your settings is my guess. Anyway, we'll be looking for a new way to keep up with blogs now that Google Reader is being retired :(

Jog Blog said...

Thanks SpeedyGeoff - good suggestion.

I'll be relying on you Ewen for IT advice re: blog life after Google Reader :)

speedygeoff said...

I am migrating to Feedly. In my case, implemented as a Chrome extension. It looks really good!

Ewen said...

Thanks Geoff - I see it works on Firefox and Android too. I'll give it a try.