The year has got off to a decent running start for me in that I have continued to build on the base that I had begun building up via my new training program, which so far, is accommodating my osteoarthritic knee restrictions well enough at the same time as facilitating a gradual improvement in fitness - both run specific fitness and more generalised physical conditioning. Against that back drop, I bravely started contemplating some training and event options for the first six months of 2013. Within this context, I decided that my goal was to run a marathon or ultra marathon around June-July 2013. To help refine the options further I decided to throw my hat in the ring and enter the ballot to run the Kep 100km Ultramarathon in Western Australia in June. I've been successful in this ballot twice before but had to withdraw both times - once through injury and once because my dad died within days of the event. So, I entered the ballot thinking that if I was lucky enough to get in then I would really want to make it third time lucky and actually get to the start line (and of course the finish line!). As luck would have it ..... I got in! Of course getting through the ballot process doesn't mean you are "in in". To actually get in, there's then some mandatory race qualifying criteria that you have to meet and those criteria are time limited - ie, they have to have been met within the preceding 23 months. This time there was no luck involved though in that I easily met them by no less than eight times over - whew! and yey! So .... I am in fact "in in". I'm feeling happy and excited about this now being my real running event goal for the first six months of this year. Of course what now may be a lottery is whether or not my osteoarthritic knees (and the rest of me!) hold up to the ultra training. But hey, I'm going to give it a damn good shot. I really want the third time to be the lucky time with getting to both the start and finish of the Kep Ultra 100km Marathon.
http://www.kepultra.com/
I wonder what all my blog readers' running goals are for 2013?? Do tell :)
5 comments:
Congrats on being "in in"! I thought you were "over & out" from 100k racing after The Tan.
Hope your knees are up for the training. What sort of 'time on legs' are you planning on getting up to in preparation?
My goals? Run a decent 5k and perhaps a decent half marathon.
The first half of 2013 is well known for me. Let me know when you plan a comfortable 50-60 km hilly training run, I'll join you. Have car, can travel.
Ewen, my experience of ultras is similar to my experience of childbirth - ie, I conveniently forget how bad it can be until I am well down the track (ie, entry process completed, training or event itself in progress) and past the point of no return - yikes!
Two Fruits, the longest training run I will do is 50km. That worked well enough for me prior to my last 100km. I'm off to train in NZ in Feb so my longest training run(s) here will probably be between (late) March-(early) May. Am not sure how that fits with your training/race plans.
That's so exciting Liz. Congratulations on being "in in". Good luck with all the long long training. My main goal this year is the NY Marathon. I will treat Canberra as a training run only.
Liz, my training is well away from your plans. I'm in Tassie in March, Coburg 24 hr is in mid April, then there will be major changes after Coburg.
Good luck & train safe for Kep, it's an event your should like & do well.
Post a Comment