Sunday, June 12, 2011

When Quitting Is Great

I'm not much of a quitter. Most things I start, I start because I'm committed to doing them. But my recent foray into basketball has been different. I started playing as a "fill-in" for a friend's team, on what I thought would be a very occasional basis. But then, I was put on the team list every week. Initially it was for the latter part of one season/comp and then it extended into a second comp, which is the one we are in the middle of right now. Over the last few weeks I've thought about how I ended up here and have been continually asking myself if I want to continue playing basketball. I don't. And so I've quit. I just don't enjoy it enough and the injury potential and the negative impact that would have on my running is too great. Fortunately, the team has a few extra subs now, and I'm the weakest link in the team, and so I won't be any great loss :)

Apart from being a (happy!) quitter, what this probably says about me is that I'm loner long distance runner to the core and not much of a team player in the conventional sporty sense any more. I was when I was younger. I played first grade hockey for 15+ years. But now, running is the only athletic/sporty thing I'm committed to, and I'm not intersted in doing anything else that may get in the way of running.

NOTE TO SELF: No more team sport favours to friends. Quit before starting.

3 comments:

Prestige said...

You've made a decision Liz. based on good reasoning. Sounds O.K. to me.

Ewen said...

Good choice. I'm not interested in doing anything that may get in the way of my running, so I'd like to quit my job! ;) The team sport I would enjoy (if we had them), would be an ultra distance road relay (like they have in the US).

Jog Blog said...

Now you are talking! Let's start an ultra distance road relay here.