Sunday, August 1, 2010

Not Ultra Fit

I am not ultra (marathon) fit in that I haven't been doing 45+km training runs. Despite that, I've decided to "have a go" at the Tan Ultra 100km on 15 August in Melb. My expectations of myself are low - ie, (1) to finish before the 12hr cut off, and (2) for it to be a better experience than my first (silly, niave, dumbass) choice of ultra @ Cradle Mt in Tas earlier this year. I think I can meet both of those expectations of myself. If I am successful in achieving them then may be I will change my view of ultras and my potential to do okay at them and then train properly with a view to having a serious go at them in the future. My thanks in advance to my support crew (Ewen and Ruth), and my family and Melb friends who have said that they will be there for "a lap or two".

6 comments:

strewth said...

Woo hoo - I am so excited about your ultra. It will such fun being your support crew. You will be fabulous and I am sure it will be a positive experience for you. Bring it on! And Melbourne, give us a stunner of a day please. :)

Two Fruits said...

You have the right idea, just do it and enjoy the event.

Ewen said...

"Or 26" ;) The great thing about an ultra in Melbourne is we're sure to enjoy the "summer season" at least once during the day :)

Two Fruits said...

And no navigation required just dodge a dog on a lead every lap. And don't forget to say hi as you lap me.

Jog Blog said...

Hehehehehe .... my positive self talk goes like this: (1) I know I can run a marathon at the drop of a hat and so if worst comes to worst I can run 42km and walk/jog 58km. (2) There definitely won't be any brown or black snakes on the Tan in the middle of winter (a la Cradle Mt in Tas in Jan/Feb) and so I won't be involuntarily frozen on the spot through fear. (3) Melb shopping before and after will help me prepare for and get over whatever the Tan 100km dishes up.

Two Fruits, you and Nick are much more experienced ultra runners than me. I think you two will be lapping me (x ??).

Prestige said...

Being a Victorian I almost feel responsible for the weather on 15 August. It's been sooooo bad the past 2 weeks it just MUST be better on " the day"