Saturday, July 24, 2010

Two Things You Don't Need

Two things you don't need after doing a long run are: (1) a flat car tyre and (2)faulty GPS software. Today I had both. Ugh!

I got back to the car at the end of my run to find the back tyre totally flat and a big nail in it. Now, if you can't be a girly wuzz at the end of a long, exhausting run then when can you be? Having justified that, I called Special K who came and rescued me. Bless his little cotton sock and speedy tyre changing skills!

The GPS software problem was (and still is) not so straightforward. I have a Garmin 310XT and a week or so ago I couldn't upload my training data from 11-18 July but then for no apparent reason the data from 19-22 July uploaded fine. Then today I couldn't upload my data again (from yesterday and this morning). All the data that won't upload is listed in the "new activity" list but when I select the activities/data and click "upload" to upload it manually, the timer just sits there forever but the data never uploads. Clearly the data is there but not being uploaded. What seems particularly weird is the dates of the data that won't upload aren't sequential in that there were a few days in between when it all worked fine. I contacted Garmin support and they just said the data must be corrupted and to do a master reset. If that's what I have to do then I guess I'll write off the data that I can't upload but that would be a pity if there's a way of retrieving it and so if anyone has any other suggestions i'd be happy to hear them.

Both the flat tyre and the GPS software problem have reminded me of how modern technology is great - when it's working.

3 comments:

Two Fruits said...

Liz, plenty of others around with same GPS 310XT, contact any of Bronwyn Calver, Mick Corlis, Nick Mesher. All email addresses on my weekly waffle report. Don't know if they have the answer, but may know how to help or satisfy that there is no other way.

Ewen said...

Yes, Bronwyn is an XTpert. Maybe it needs a reboot, or a name change from Garmina to Garman ;)

Glad you have a mechanic on call. You wouldn't want to run home after such a long run!

Jog Blog said...

Garmin Support and all Garmin user "experts" agree that the GPS software problem I've been having is an intermittent corrupt data problem and the only "fix" is to write off the non-downloadable data. A master reset will delete that data permanently but since it's unusable anyway I can't see the point in doing the master reset in that in doing that all my usable data history would also be deleted and I may as well keep that.

The problem continues to be intermittent but I have successfully downloaded the last 2 days of data so I'm hoping my 310XT has a long period of behaving the way it is supposed to from now until? (when?) Fingers crossed!