I'm a big fan of running books - non-fiction that is, not fiction - and I have read many, many running books over the years. I recently finished and added to my collection "My First 100 Marathons" by Jeff Horowitz, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I can't say I learnt anything particularly new from this book but I enjoyed the detail in Horowitz's account of his training and the running of his first 100 marathons, and I found his approach to running and the lifelong meaning it has to him to be very affirming for me.
What appeals to long term, long distance runners in books about running is sure to be as individual as each reading runner themselves and a topic more suited to lazy coffee time or dinner conversation rather than blogging, but in short, I'm most interested in running books that are factual and detailed, and which are about committed, hard training and competitive runners who are good (and strive to be better) but not necessarily elite runners. Against that backdrop, in addition to "My First 100 Marathons" by Jeff Horowitz, I would recommend:
"Feet In The Clouds" by Richard Askwith
"My Life On The Run" by Bart Yasso
"What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" by Haruki Murakami
The books I would not recommend simply because they are by or about runners who have achieved great things (and who don't hesitate to tell us that!) and yet who share very little about their training, nutrition, etc in their hundreds and hundreds of pages of writing are:
"The Extra Mile" by Pam Reed
"Paula, My Story So Far" by Paula Radcliffe
"50 Marathons 50 Days" by Dean Karnazes
There's lots of other running books I'd recommend (or not) for different reasons but these are the stand out "recommend you do" or "recommend you don't" for now .....
4 comments:
I found Paula's book quite readable but I did read it some years ago. However, I recently really enjoyed "On the Wings of Mercury" - Lorraine Moller and "Running Hot" - Lisa Tamati - both very readable books! I've taken note of some of those titles in your recommended list as I too thoroughly enjoy running books. :) Had two coffee mornings after running this weekend - missed you. We'll make up for it next Sat. :)
Good tips! Thanks Strewth. I haven't read either Moller or Tamati's books. But guess what? Amazon.com is my friend and I have just ordered them. Another "present to self" to look forward to receiving.
Be great to catch up next Sat for post run coffee. Just tell me where and when suits you guys. Have a great week.
I love "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running". Murakami is a beautiful writer. Tamati's book scared me away from doing anything harder than 6'! She's super tough.
I've read a good review of Charlie Spedding's book - "From Last to First." It's on my list.
Now we just have to order the same weather as this weekend for Saturday coffee :)
I loved what I talk about when I talk about running!!! I'll have to look up your other suggestions as well.
Post a Comment