Out of personal interest I went back and had a look at my 9 Canberra Marathon results. The years over which I ran these 9 Canberra marathons reflect very different ages and stages of my life as a whole. My first Canberra Marathon for example, was in 1987 when I was young and before I had kids. My second Camberra Marathon was 16 years later! (in 2003) when my oldest child was 10yrs and my youngest 8.5yrs. From 2003 until now in 2010 I have been a remarkably consistent Canberra Marathon runner. The only year I missed was 2006 when I chose to run the London Marathon (one week later in April) instead of the Canberra Marathon. Anyway .... the results/stats are:
1987 - 3.36 (1st marathon ever and 1st Canberra Marathon)
2003 - 3.32
2004 - 3.15
2005 - 3.10
2007 - 3.00 (~8 weeks prior to my PB of 2.59.38 @ Gold Coast)
2008 - 3.07
2009 - 3.18
2010 - 3.13
I'm pretty happy with that track record. After all, I am just an "ordinary" marathon runner. I've enjoyed my years of training, am delighted that my marathon PB = 2.59.38 (ie, broke the "magical" 3hr mark) and content that I have come full circle and still run marathons because I love it. Why else would anyone run so many kms over so many years and continue to do so? Bring on no.10 (hopefully in 2011)!
5 comments:
That's a great record and you are by NO means ordinary. For interest, of MY 35 marathons my fastest was the tenth - and that was in Canberra, a comfortable win. YOUR best times may well be to come, and proof of that is you are not far off it, really. A bit of fortune with injuries, consistent training, and it can happen. I'm sure of it!
Wow - that is some track record! You must have been very young when you ran your first marathon. You have certainly run some amazing times. I am so impressed - well done!
Eeek! I'm an air head. My list = only 8 Canberra Marathons. I left out 2002. Oooops. It was 3.40. That's 9 altogether.
No, you're blonde ;) I second what Speedygeoff said about your alleged ordinariness. If you're ordinary, I'm bloody awful.
Great record. Go for sub 3:11 in 2011!
Blonde = air head in my case.
Post a Comment