I had a pretty easy week of running this week post last Sunday's National Capital Marathon.
I considered running in the Mothers Day 10km today but to be honest I couldn't see the value in paying $35 to run a 10km course that I can run any day of the week for free. Don't get me wrong. It's not that I don't think it's a good cause and it's not that I don't think Mother's Day is an ideal day to draw attention to it. It's just that I think that charity races would appeal more to die hard runners if they had a modest entry fee and then provided runners with the option of donating as much or as little as they wanted to to the chosen charity on top of the entry fee rather than having a ridiculously expensive compulsory entry fee for runners to run on a very ordinary, publicly accessible, and traffic free route. Perhaps all that means is that I'm not as charitable as I should be or that such runs are not for the die hards but for the "special occasion" joggers and walkers. I don't know really. I think it's a difficult "political" issue.
Anyway ..... after choosing not to go in the "official" Mothers Day run, I had my own lovely, quiet mother's day run along the beautiful mountain trails in the early morning fog.
I hope all my running mates who also happen to be mothers had a fabulous day.
4 comments:
I do hope you had a wonderful Mothers' Day too Liz. That sounds like a lovely run on a beautiful day. :)
Must agree about expensive entries on what are really fun run days. Glad you are getting the recovery done well.
I agree about the expensive entries. Congrats on the marathon, you are very fast.
$35 is a bit steep. Sounds like there were a few stuff-ups on the course too. Glad you enjoyed the day.
Post a Comment