Today I was a visiting goose - ie, I got to "visit" the Speedy Geese run group and do one of their back to back training sessions. I can't normally attend these sessions because of my work hours and my kids' afternoon/evening sporting commitments, but today was a public holiday, and that gave me the opportunity to check out first hand what the speedy geese get up to.
A small group of us met @ Parliament House @ 4.30pm and jogged 8km. It was a leisurely, chatty run but a good warm up for the more formal training session which followed. (Pity about the non-traditional welcome we got from the person at the make-shift Aboriginal embassy on the lawns of old parliament house who harassed us and threatened to kill us. I'm not kidding. Very unpleasant.)
Back at our original starting point by 5.30pm and more of the regulars turned up for the session "proper". Another 2-3km warm up and then we were into it - 12 X 40sec efforts, with ~30sec recovery in between. It was an orthodox short, speed endurance type session out of which you get as much as you put in. Personally, I put in about 75%.
My hosts, the Speedy Geese, were a lovely self motivated bunch, and the training session was relaxed at the same time as being good quality. I hope I get to visit again soon (ie, next public holiday Monday or end of term break). Thanks to Geoff and his gaggle of speedy geese for their running hospitality.
4 comments:
Glad you enjoyed it. There's enough of a range of abilities that there's always someone to run with. Think we'll be doing a different warm-up jog for a while!
Thank you for your kind words and I am sure we will see you again soon.
Canberra???
Thank you for your kind words and I am sure we will see you again soon.
Post a Comment