Monday, March 22, 2010
Congratulations To ?
I've been reading with interest Jackie F's counting up to a total of 100,000 running kilometres over her running career; a milestone which she reached last weekend. That's an interesting statistic and a wonderful achievement. What has been just as interesting is the discussion and comparing of statistics that has followed from less high profile runners than Jackie who have equalled or surpassed her total kilometres over their running careers. Like lots of other people I add my running kilometres up at the end of each calendar year but I haven't bothered to add the totals of my 27+ years of running up to reach a total year to date figure. I'm sure that if I did it would be around the total Jackie and others have reached, and I'm also sure that many of my lifelong running friends would have similarly impressive career totals. My point is that lots of us run lots of kilometres for years on end and so our cummulative kilometre totals are similar to or greater than Jackie's and worth similar congratulations. So, to all the life long runners who run because they love it, and who have logged ~100,000kms (or more?) along the way, "congratulations". Of course for most of us, Jackie included, it's not really about the adding up of kilometres. It's about running because we love it, and while we are doing what we love doing, the kilometres add themselves up. "Run on" I say, and don't bother getting too preoccupied with the maths.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I've only recently added up yearly totals. I have the old diaries, so might do that one wet weekend ;) Think I'd be in the 90-100,000 range if I've averaged 60-65 ks a week. Got to say I've enjoyed most of them!
I'm such a casual runner I couldn't even tell you how many k's I did last week let alone last year. Rather than following a predetermined distance I usually just set out and keep going till my body tells me to stop. I know this is probably a big contributor to my slow waddle (as opposed to those speed demons out there).
Would be very interesting to know... Congrats to all those who do have similar milestones though!!! Have to agree with you though, I'm just in it for the love. :-)
Before GPS's to more accurately calculate distances, I mostly worked on the time on a stop watch. Then calculated a distance based on how fast I thought I ran over the distance. A rough guide, probably very close. However, GPS now tells me I ran slower than I thought, not by much. So, how accurate are our yearly totals to the " real" kms ran ? Still, 100,000 kms is a long way to run. Don't forget, Jackie would have ridden a bike well over that as well.
I still have 15 years to get to that 6 figure.I will never make it, but it is all fun just trying to do a bit, day after day.
Post a Comment