Saturday, November 14, 2009

Is Ordinary Interesting?

I'm torn between being bemused by journalists being interested in writing about "ordinary marathon runners" like me and being flattered that they are. Recently, there was both an article in Runner's World (Dec 2009) about my addictive/obsessive running habits, and a chapter in a new book on women's running about what running means to me (nice promo here:
)

At first I was a bit embarassed about both. There's nothing special about me, who'd want to read about me, and what could anyone learn from me? But then I thought about the hundreds of running books that I have read and which I am still drawn to reading. Generally they are of 2 types - (1) books about elite, awesomely talented and high performance runners, and (2) books about ordinary runners who are interesting because they are runners and they run in interesting places and events, and are innovative with their training and fitting their running into normal busy family/work lives. So ... may be the recent writings about me will fit into the second category for some other readers. I just have two hope(s) - (1) that people will continue to see me as the ordinary marathon runner and ordinary person I am, and (2) if my running makes running more interesting to other people then "yippee". It is after all, because of the "yippee" in running that I am an addictive, obsessive - but still ordinary - marathon runner.

2 comments:

Jog Blog said...

Ooops ... that nice promo ... it's here:

http://www.xtri.com/features_display.aspx?riIDReport=6065&CAT=24&xref=xx

Ewen said...

You're not THAT ordinary - and if not 'awesomely' talented, at least of 'above average' talent.

At least the successful applicant for 'Look After Jog' won't have to be your bodyguard ;)