Training really should be specific and orientated towards particular goal events. Of course some events can be used as "hit outs" for goal events but it's best if those hit out events aren't goal events in themselves. At the moment I'm not really sure which are my "hit out events" and which are my "goal events", and that's because I have cornered myself into having too many events too close together. They are:
25 March - marathon (Melb Ironman run leg)
15 April - marathon/50km (Canberra)
4-5 May - 100km Wild Endurance Walk (Blue Mountains, NSW)
3 June - Kep Ultra 100km Trail Run (WA)
And then there's:
24 June - marathon (Wellington NZ); and
1 July - marathon (Goldcoast).
I could set myself the task of deciding for sure which are my "hit out events" and which are my "goal events" but I'm not feeling very competitive these days and so I think I'll just do them all (or as many as I can) as a participant and on a "as good as I can on the day" basis. I'm happy with that approach :) With that in mind, I'm following my routine training schedule of short-medium weekday runs, a long run on Saturday, and one trail walk in place of a run. I'm hoping that approach will cover all bases.
3 comments:
Superwoman you are Liz with so much on your "to do" list in the next 4 months. I gave myself almost 6 months just to get ready for a 24 hour run/walk. You have a great base, so you should be Ok. Suggest the long runs/walks are really long. There is little time between Wild Enurance & Kep, both hilly & very tough. The marathons will no doubt suffer, use these as fun long training runs. Enjoy it all. You are very welcome to join me/us on the mountains any time. We take it easy & enjoy the outing. Sorry, no coffee shops close by afterwards.
I'll buy you a coffee if you can improve your walking to the point where you can beat Ruth in a walking race on the track ;)
Must admit I'm enjoying my weekly 'hit-out' events as there's no pressure and I can experiment a bit with strategy.
Wow Liz that is some list! Wellington will probably be cold, wet and windy so be warned! At least you will be running so many marathons that you can just count them as your long training runs and back off the distances between. The walks sound like hard work. How did you go with the walking poles? You are definitely a true inspiration to all of us!
Post a Comment