Sunday, February 19, 2012

Run/Walk On!

I finally got home from Perth yesterday. Whew!

Oooooh .... that red-eye flight departing Perth @ midnight, changing in Sydney, and flying on to Canberra, is a tough gig. By the time I got off the plane yesterday I was seriously sleep deprived and exhausted! Perhaps more disturbingly though, I had a major case of ankle oedema happening (yikes!!). My ankles and calves were swollen to twice + their normal size and they remained that way for ~8hrs post flight. Despite shrinking back down to approximately their normal size by this morning, my legs/ankles continued to ache and feel very heavy, and so I was conservative this morning and ran short and easy.

By this afternoon my legs (and the rest of me!) felt a bit more like my normal self and so I decided to start my Wild Endurance 100km walk training. Oooooooh .... I am a very bad/slow/lazy walker and I need a LOT more practice. Still, I was pleased to plod through a decent sized trail walk with Capital I which included the peak of Mt Ainslie :)

Loving new toys as I do, and being keen to solicit whatever help I can to make me a better/faster walker, I am now investigating trail walking poles. This is a whole new world for me. I haven't purchased any yet, but my research tells me there are three important considerations - (a) trail or hiking poles are not walking poles and vice versa. Trail/hiking poles have a pointy tip for either stabbing the earth and pulling forwards or for braking on the downhills, whereas walking poles have a soft rubber stopper for grip on even predictable road/path/ashphalt surfaces; (b) weight - ie, the lighter the better so aluminium or graphite composition is best; and (c) length - ie, they need to suit the height of the user and/or be height adjustable. There are some purpose built women's hiking poles for us shorties and there are some which are height/length adjustable. (Another (related) feature to consider is whether or not the poles are fold-able and hence able to be packed compactly into a camelbak. Being the neat freak I am this is an important/very desirable feature for me.) I've pretty well decided which ones I'm going to get but I haven't yet made the purchase ($150+). Stay tuned ...

So, looking forward to this week, I anticipate a normal week of run training with one less run - ie one run being replaced by a Wild Endurance training walk in its place. Run/Walk On!

3 comments:

Ewen said...

The ones with a spike would be handy for fending off muggers ;-)

Sounds a great idea to practise walking. Ruth's a good walker by the way if you need any tips. I remember Anita who did 6' with myself and John K one year finished in 5 hours and walked all the hills. That's good walking!

Jog Blog said...

Oh yeah, fast & efficient trail walking is clearly a skill (sport?) in its own right. Pammie is another awesome walker. I seriously doubt I have the temperament to master it. It just seems instinctively so inefficient & frustrating compared to running ...

strewth said...

Hi Liz, welcome home. You are amazing with all your looooong distance plans and this walk definitely sounds LONG! Good luck with the pole hunting:) I have a 34km run scheduled for Sat and would love to catch up for coffee afterwards. I have a very exciting Avon order for you too!I plan to start reasonably early but it will probably be 11.15am to play it safe for a coffee.