Sunday, October 10, 2010

Fun Run Marathon

My niggling hamstring turned into more than a niggle during the Melbourne marathon today, slowing my pace and ensuring that it was a "fun run" marathon - ie, run at my slowest(?) fun run pace. I wasn't too stressed by the slowness since I wasn't going into it with a racing mindset (see previous post) but of course I'd prefer not to have a niggle/injury (no kidding!). Anyway, I finished in 3.30 which while a long way off my personal best is also a long way off my personal worst. (Thank goodness for a long and varied history of race performances!)

The biggest positive from today's fun run marathon was actually finishing it in that in 25+yrs of running I have only ever DNF-ed twice and once (ie, the last time) was at the Melbourne marathon. It was a nice consolation today to put that demon behind me and run across the finish line at the MCG.

So...... 4 marathons and 2 ultramarathons (84km and 100km) later, I'm ready to wind my racing down for 2010. Repair and recovery, followed by whatever running takes my fancy, is all that remains on my 2010 running agenda. It's been a good running year.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

Sorry about the hammy playing up. I heard from Ruth in her text, but she thought you might have pulled out at first. Good to finish it and run into the 'G'. 3.30 isn't too bad for a 'fun run' - I was 3.28 in my second marathon and it was certainly no fun! Coffee catch-ups will be part of the recovery process of course!