Saturday, August 8, 2009

Good Weekends

How good are weekends?? Much more scope to run as you please. For the first time in 8 days I started my run in daylight today. Yippeee! I ran an easy medium-long run with GEM on bike beside me. Not great quality in terms of pace (read: slow-ish)but it still = kilometres in the legs and it was a nice catch up with GEM.

Tomorrow will be a well earned and/or much deserved rest day for me before another week of early starts at work and either 5am runs or no runs. Ugh!

Ewen, you are hard on yourself. Just think about the choice between running for pleasure and fitness VS running to compete well in events of a particular distance. If your priority is the former then don't beat yourself up about performance. If you want to "compete" then narrow your training down and target event specific training so that you don't disappoint yourself - ie, beat yourself up again.

Two Fruits, Yes!, let's get together for a chatty run soon.

3 comments:

Ewen said...

I'm not that hard Liz - I was just giving myself one cut of the cane, not six.

Yes, I could probably do event specific training - that worked 20 years ago. I just have this compulsion to try different training ideas - hence Hadd, Hosaka... I'm more inclined to beat myself up if I can't do the training, than if a race is a bit ordinary.

I also like the theory that training has to change as we get older - if you do the 'same old, same old' you'll get the same race results (only slower, because of age).

Anyway, I might join you and Two Fruits for a long run or two - long as I can bail out well before 50k.

Jog Blog said...

Can fully relate to the experimenting with training. Like, what is there to lose? Particularly if you've done a lot of the conventional stuff in the past and got all the predictable, conventional results you'd expect.

Don't worry! If/when we run with Two Fruits I'll be bailing before 50km too!

Stephanie said...

My week is looking much the same as yours. Let's hope its a quick one for both of us so we can enjoy some more relaxed weekend runs in the daylight hours fairly soon.