Sunday, August 23, 2009

Early Again

Another early start today but this time it wasn't for work. Instead, I was putting the rest of the family on the 5am bus for a day trip to the snow.

Since I was up so early (again!) I thought that instead of waiting til 9am to run the Vets 1/2 marathon I may as well run the equivalent distance early and then have the rest of the day to do other things. What a good decision that turned out to be. It was a beautiful sunrise and after running ~10km I came upon JMc who I used to run with regularly. We meandered around the trails for another 10km or so together, catching up on each other's family and work news.

Although it was very early (particularly for a Sunday!), it turned out to be a pleasant start to the day, and it was good to be home, showered and ready to get on with the day's long list of things to do by 8am. I'm starting on that list now. But I think that by mid afternoon a short nap might be something that gets added to the list! After all, tomorrow is Monday and another 5.30am run before an early work start. Ugh!

6 comments:

Ewen said...

I fix that problem by not having a list. Here's a list after the fact:
1) Half 8.30am
2) Home much later and a nap
3) Movie 3.30pm - Inglourious Basterds
4) Eat
5) World Champs Marathon (W) 7.30pm
6) Sleep

Jog Blog said...

Was Inglorious Basterds good?

Ewen said...

Yes! Although I had to shut my eyes a couple of times. Great acting from Christoph Waltz. Pitt was pretty good too.

Jog Blog said...

Oh yeah, I've had trouble in more than one Tarantino film reminding myself that it's all "tongue in cheek". They are always so in your face.

Hope you ran a great vets 1/2 marathon?

Ewen said...

Not sure that it's all 'tongue in cheek'. The first chapter of IB was gripping, as were some other scenes.

The first 2k was great! Last 6k less than average.

Jog Blog said...

Yeah, know what you mean. I think I've become soft in my old age and really only like seeing funny or totally escapist films these days. Documentaries and borderline or close to reality fiction type films are often too uncomfortably close to the yukky parts of real reality for me to enjoy. Make sense (probably not!)?

Good on you for running decently in the vets 1/2. I've been running rubbish lately. There's been close to no difference between my tempo sessions and my med-long run easy paced sessions. If that's not a sign of long term tiredness I'd like to know what is! Sigh ......

On that note ... goodnight ....