Monday, April 13, 2009

Tapering - The Ultimate Bi-Polar Experience

Tapering really isn't much fun. The research and the theory makes perfect sense but it never feels right. For obsessives like me, tapering is at best another lesson in patience that might pay off on race day, or at worst, a waste of time that makes no difference to race day performance and which could have been better spent training as per usual. Either way, it is a time of self restraint and going with the odds in line with the research and theory. It's a time when the message to self is: "a good taper doesn't guarantee a good marathon, but a bad taper definitely guarantees a bad marathon". Ugh!

Given my tapering angst it has been good to have some Easter distractions. One of the most interesting and impressive ones has been my friend's participation in the 24hr mountain bike race @ Mt Majura. Now that's hard core! I'm impressed in the way that you are when you know just how much it takes to keep going when all the odds are against you and there really isn't a single good reason to be out there doing it.

5 comments:

Two Fruits said...

24 hour mountain biking is not too bad on the legs, hard in the head and very sore on the backside. Stay with the running, even 24 hours on your feet is easier than in the saddle.

strewth said...

I agree with you about the taper - makes you jump out of your skin!!

Ewen said...

I must be going blind. I need a magnifying glass to read that font!

Happy tapering.

Two Fruits said...

I posted a reply on coolrunning about Glasshouse. I will enter early next week, looking forward to it again. Ian always puts out the feelers early to make sure he gets enough entries.

Two Fruits said...

ps. Good luck on Sunday. See you out there from the sidelines. Too far for me.