Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Marathon = Running Identity?

Interesting comment by Two Fruits - ie, "once a marathoner, always a marathoner". I think that's true. I wonder if it is a criticism?

The great appeal/addiction of (road) marathons for me lies in (a) the mind and body being long term programmed to 42.2kms, and (b) road marathons generally being on officially measured courses and relatively comparable to other road marathons (give or take some "undulations" which make particular courses a bit faster or a bit slower, but not toooooooo significantly different from each other), allowing for a comparison of performances.

Conversely, the great appeal of off road events - marathon distances and beyond - is that by their very nature they can't be compared so directly and neither can performances.

So, I think it is "horses for courses". I like putting myself to the test a few times (or more!) a year via road marathons, even though that's where the truth about slowing and ageing stares me in the face. And on other occasions I like the relaxed "can't compare" running/racing of trail/mountain events. I don't think the two kinds of events are mutually exclusive. I think they each suit different phases of running or different moods or different types of runners. They are all fun!

2 comments:

Two Fruits said...

Certainly not a critism, I think you are just trying to find a way to test new ground. But keeping hold of the area you know. Marathons are not easy even when you have done hepas of them. But the unknown of longer is still daunting. Do one, you will be surprised. They are all fun for sure!

Ewen said...

Marathons were fun when they didn't take so long. Maybe I need a faster haircut!