Monday, December 31, 2012

End of 2012 - Running Wrap Up

2012 was a busy, challenging and interesting year. This is a bit of a summary of the stand out happenings.

January

Ran the Cadbury Hobart Marathon again (4th time). I love this event and ran slightly better than last year despite having increasing osteoarthritic pain in both knees.

Celebrated our 26th wedding anniversary on 26 January 2012. How neat.

February

Enjoyed some reunion training runs with my Perth running mates while visiting Perth for work.

Turned 49 yrs old – feeling good (except for the osteoarthritic pain in my knees – hmmm .....)

March

Ran the marathon leg of the Melbourne Ironman in 3hrs.30mins as part of the Taylormade Triathlon Team. A totally novel and fun approach to marathoning despite running in osteoarthritic pain throughout.

April

Didn’t run my 11th Canberra Marathon. Went on holidays to France instead. A break from running and lots of walking helped ease my knee pain temporarily.

May

Did the 100km Wild Endurance Trail Walk. Totally loved this entree into endurance hiking and plan to do (lots) more of it in the future. Knee pain tolerable courtesy of new approach to training, including more strength work and cross training.

June

Osteoarthritis properly diagnosed by surgeon and long term osteoarthritic medication commenced.

Ran the Wellington Half Marathon in NZ in a half decent time of 1.38 (ie, considering my osteoarthritis).

July

Farewelled Capital I as he embarked on his 3+ month overseas trip.

Ran the Bush Capital Half Marathon in 1.49. Found the new course harder than the old course and really had to grit my teeth with knee pain.

August – September

Totally withdrew into myself in an effort to come to terms with my osteoarthritis and to fully embrace a new type of training. This was a tough time.

Enjoyed returning the crewing favour for some of those who crewed for me at the Wild Endurance 100km and crewed @ the Trailwalker 100km.

October

Reaped the benefit of patience and perseverance with my new training regime by running the Melbourne Half Marathon in 1.37. Not pain free by any means but much improved compared to the January-August period. Felt stronger than I have for years, just not running race fit.

November

Consolidated my training routine and started to feel more run fit.

Welcomed Capital I home from overseas.

Had surgery, followed by a secondary infection. Not that much fun.

December

Enjoyed crewing for Pam at the Coast to Kosci 240km ultramarathon.

Proud to see Little A graduate from college with excellent grades.

Enjoyed a return to good health post surgery and improved fitness.

Finished the year with a modest running total of 3900kms.

I am optimistic that 2013 may be a better running year for me than 2012 was now that my not-so-new training system is well in place and working for me and my osteoarthritic knees.

To all my running mates and blog readers, I hope to see you out on the trails and may 2013 be a great new year for you all.

2 comments:

Ewen said...

That was a good summary of the year. Hope the new training system continues to help with the dickie knees. And I notice a new age-group coming up this year - woohoo! Exciting! Glad I'm not a 50-54 female!

strewth said...

You have achieved heaps Liz. I'm so glad your knees are feeling much better after all those problems. Stick with that cross training. It really does seem to work for you. Catch up soon.xx