Sunday, December 9, 2012

Catch Up & Coast to Kosci

After a miserable 8 days post surgery I got into some light training early last week. I had a slight set back when I developed a secondary infection but antibiotics and "being sensible" meant I could continue short, easy running while the medication did its job and my recovery overall continued to progress. I'm feeling pretty good now (except for some local surgery site pain) and am motivated to get back into routine training, goal setting and then specific purpose training. I'm hoping 2013 will be a good running year for me.

On Thursday of last week I headed to Eden to crew for Pam in the Coast to Kosci 240km ultra marathon. Last year I crewed for Kerrie B in the same event. Like all l-o-n-g ultras, lots can go right and lots can go wrong. Whereas Kerrie B took some lingering injuries and less than optimum fitness into C2K last year, Pam was in good shape and well prepared, but her tummy decided to protest (violently and frequently), and so it was yet another challenging event for runner and crew alike. Pam toughed it out though and finished slightly outside her best in an impressive 34hrs. These photos are of us at the start line with Pam and at the top of Kosci :)

I love crewing and I totally admire all C2K finishers. It's a very hard event. I have to say though that I was grateful that Pam finished ~10hrs earlier than Kerrie B did last year. 34hrs is long enough for all to be out there :)

I'm back to all things normal this week and I have my last post op check up with the surgeon.I'm looking forward to a return to my kind of normal :)

2 comments:

Ewen said...

Well done Pam and well done you! I couldn't stay awake for 24 hours, let alone crew for 34. That's a great pic at the top of Kosci with snow on the mountains in the background.

Jog Blog said...

While you are crewing you don't notice the time go by. It's only when you get way past your normal bed time - ie, ~4am - that it starts to hit you.

C2K is an awesome event. I would recommend crewing it to all the serious runners I know. I would recommend running it to only a very, select, few.