Saturday, November 24, 2012

Surgery

I had a good first half of the week, which included all my normal training sessions. However, on Thursday the week then took a radical turn as I went into hospital for surgery - nothing life threatening and nothing "girl-y" either. The details just aren't blog worthy. For those of you who I train with, I'll tell you the details in person next time we run - the story will keep us going for a fair few kms :)

As with any surgery, the post op time is not much fun, and I've had a very painful last few days. I think it will be more of the same for the next few days with the pain hopefully easing off before the end of the week.

If only we could separate our minds and our bodies at times like this, and if only we could separate our running from everything else at times like this. But we can't. Having said that, there are some positives to the forced "down time" post surgery. One is that it gives you the opportunity to properly rest and another is that it really motivates you to return to running. To me, post surgery "down time" also feels like better quality "down time" than when you are injured or sick. I think that's because it's a non running related reason for having a lay off (unlike an injury) and the reason for the surgery isn't likely to impact on a return to running (unlike sickness). I'm hoping that all this adds up to what Ewen would call a "springy" return to running :)

7 comments:

speedygeoff said...

I am hoping you are resting until you should run. I missed you, didn't see you today, so this may be the case?

speedygeoff said...

Oh sorry, you posted this today. See you next week then, taking it easy, maybe!

Ewen said...

Hope you share it with your non-training partners too! I'll take a guess at a broken arm from a scooter fall ;-)

Yes, you'll be super springy on your return. Springy running rules!

strewth said...

Oh poor Liz I do hope you are out of pain and feel much more "springy" soon. Sending love and get well hugs your way. xxxx

Jog Blog said...

Ewen, coffee partners are included in "training partners" - ie coffee is such a vital part of training :)

Sorry though, your guess is wrong - ie, it's not a broken arm from my scooter. In fact, it's not arm or scooter related. You can keep guessing but I don't think you'll ever get it.

I'll put you out of your guessing agony at our next post Sat run(s) coffee - ie, Sat 15 Dec @ war memorial cafe - yes??

Ewen said...

Yes! Hope your injury doesn't limit your crewing duties for Pam's C2K run.

Jog Blog said...

Bandages & dressings all came off today, & stitches came out - Whew! I'll be "tip top" and ready to crew with gusto @ C2K :) Will tell you all about it at coffee on 15/12 :)