There are so many different kinds of running that some may as well be different sports.
I've been watching with interest the 6 day endurance event in Bornholm, Denmark, in which Martin F from Australia did well for 3 days and then pulled out, and in which Sarah Barnett, also from Australia and a lot less well known, has just finished - placing 1st female and 2nd outright, having covered 677+ms. What a truly amazing feat by Sarah! Just remarkable! I am so impressed!
While I congratulate Sarah emphatically and think she is amazing I simply cannot imagine wanting to "run" such an event. To me, such an event is not really in keeping with my idea of running. Not only does it involve (extended) walking breaks but it also involves sleep breaks (understandably and of necessity of course). My point is that for some of us, running is only running if you run the whole way - whatever the distance. Clearly, that is not physically possible for lots of ultras, regardless of how elite the runner is. So, it all begs the question as to what running - or long distance running - is. I think there's a line between ultra running where the majority of runners can run all the way and ultra events where walking and resting (even minimalist walking and resting) make it an "event" rather than a "run".
Given what Sarah has just done, my pathetic, measley 32km today = a lazy, short run but I was happy to run all of it from start to finish, and to have the feeling of having run the whole way.
The amazing achievements of some don't always make others want to do what they have done. To the contrary, the amazing achievements of some often reconfirm for others that they are happy doing what they are doing. Each to their own.
4 comments:
I know the 100m sprint is a different 'sport' to the 5000!
That's an amazing achievement from Sarah - esp to come second outright. It's not something I'll be signing up for. I wonder what happened to Martin?
If you run in a walking race, that's a disqualification. So does the opposite apply.
Martin had feet then achillies problems & retired at day 3.
Totally agree with your well argued statement. Like all other things in life we go with what we are committed to and that surely brings happiness.
Ewen, I'm hopeless at both 100m and 5000m. They are both too far down the "short" end of the scale for me. It's all relative ....
Two Fruits, I think (a) walking, (b) running and (c) combination walking/running events should all be kept separate from each other. Call me a purist but that way everyone knows whether their event is 100% walking, 100% running or a % mix. That way everyone focuses on their specialty and no one gets disqualified.
Prestige, welcome to my blog! Great to have your input.
Post a Comment