Sunday, February 21, 2010

Getting Back Into It

My return to proper training (my definition) since the Cradle Mt 82km two weeks ago has been slower than I would have liked. The pain and swelling in my left leg persisted to the point where mid last week I had an ultrasound for suspected DVT. Thanfully, the scan was clear for that (whew!). Predictably though it did show the damage from the cradle mt ultra that's been causing me grief - tears and strains blah, blah, blah etc.

Prior to the ultrasound I was simply too sore to run despite trying and trying again. Since last Wed though I've been running lightly with tolerable pain. The connection between mind and body is a wonderful thing and now that I know the pain and swelling is not caused by something that might sneak up and kill me I can deal with the discomfort. Having said that, with each passing day it is improving and as long as I don't hammer my legs too much too soon i can see painfree running on the not too distant horizon.

I've enjoyed some leisurely running around the Mt Majura trails near home this weekend. Nice to see Ewen and Strewth out there yesterday.

2 comments:

Ewen said...

Nice to see you too.

Glad it wasn't DVT! Now I have no inclination at all to do the Cradle Mtn ultra. 2-day bush walk maybe. Might be a while before the pegs are good enough for speedwork...

Jog Blog said...

Yeah, was pretty scarey. Another reminder to smell the roses.