Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year

2013 was an up/down year. It was also a year which featured a number of "first ofs" and/or significant happenings. For example: I turned 50!, both kids left home, and my knee injuries peaked at both their worst and then their best points ever. My running highs and lows were intrinsically related to the highs and lows of my osteoarthritic knees; the biggest low being when the Baker's Cyst (a secondary to the osteoarthritis) inside my left knee ruptured part way through the Kep 100km ultra causing me to DNF (May 2013), and the biggest high being three pleasing "race" performances post knee rehab (Sept-Oct 2013). Throughout the year I adjusted my training (both in type and intensity) to accommodate my moody knees, and my running highs and lows. The net result was that I managed to maintain good fitness all year even though it wasn't peak run specific fitness at all times.

Going into 2014 I am carrying a new injury, which has not yet been properly diagnosed and which is not improving thus far :(. The main symptom is severe glute and pelvic pain. Ten days later and walking is still painful and running is impossible. While initially I thought it may be a glute muscle tear, the pain now is fighteningly reminiscent of all the stress factures I have had in the past and I'm suspicious it could be a pelvic stress fracture. It definitely warrants being checked out and that is the first thing on my post New Year's Day "to do" list.

Despite the new injury woe I am optimistic about 2014 both in running terms and generally. After all, while 1 January 2014 may be the first day of the new year, it is also just another day in the rolling continuum of life and I'm hopeful that I will get on top of and then over this injury and be back running in 2014 just as I have been every other year for the last 30+ years. In the meantime, I'm training in the gym, keeping fit, and taking the opportunity to work on some of my weaknesses. In other words, doing more of the same as I did in 2013. I'm happy with that.

Happy New Year everyone. May it be healthy and happy.

6 comments:

Two Fruits said...

This new injury sounds suspiciously like the one Elizabeth Thompson had & took into Six Foot Track a few years ago. An Xray showed stress fracture in the pelvis & took over 6 months to come right. It was weakening bone structure from getting old & some a bit of too much. Be very careful with this one, it may not be just a case of getting through, but getting lots of down time. Hope not too severe & you can get back to running soon. Good luck, take care.

Jog Blog said...

That's my fear Two Fruits. I had an Xray yesterday and am having a bone scan on Monday. Stay tuned ...

Two Fruits said...

Hope good new Liz, take care.

Ewen said...

Fingers crossed it's not that Liz! If so, hope it's not a bad one. I remember Elizabeth Thompson's quite well as we were training for 6' at the time. Anyway, all the best for 2014 - looking forward to our coffee catch-ups!

Ewen said...

Liz, re your FB comment about pool running... Jack Daniels makes a good argument for NOT doing too much in the way of cross training when injured here.

Jog Blog said...

Thanks Ewen. That was a really helpful and timely reminder article. It is soooooooooooooooo tempting to try and compensate for being injured by cross training like a maniac. Clearly, that can be counter productive and delay recovery even further. My last remaining option is a magic wand. Can you organise that? :)