Friday, December 27, 2013

Injured Again :(

Whereas my pre Christmas training was going well (amid all the end of year rushing around), my "luck" ran out on 22/12/12 when I overdid it in the gym. While I felt no pain at the time, I seem to have injured myself overdoing the leg strength work and/or straight leg abdominal work. I'm not sure which. Perhaps a combination? Either way, I now have a glute/piriformis strain/tear(?) which has been very painful. I can't run on it. In fact, walking on it has been painful. But, it's been fine on the bike and the cross trainer. So ... on the bike and the cross trainer I will stay until it resolves. And of course, I'll continue to give the anti-inflammatories and pain killers a good workout as well.

I've been feeling very down about this set back but today there was a slight improvement and so my spirits have been lifted a little. I just have to learn some patience - fast :).

4 comments:

Two Fruits said...

Not good news Liz but get the remedies going straight away, and may just a short term issue. My gym sessions don't focus on legs at all, that's what running up and down hills are for. I use the gym for upper body only that don't get a workout when running. Patience is required now, I hope you don't have any major running events planned in the near future.

Jog Blog said...

The leg work I do at the gym Two Fruits is all focussed on building the strength around my knee joints to offset the effects of the osteoarthritis. I can't get that specific strength work from any form of running. Thus far, it's been really effective. I think I was just careless with technique last week - probably because of being over tired and over rushed with all the end of year/Christmas stuff(Grrrr.....). I'm being super smart with the rehab and today there's another 2% improvement :). Unfortunately I do have running events planned for Jan, Feb, March and April and so the patience thing is a struggle :(

Ewen said...

Bugger! Sorry to hear that Liz. Hope it comes good for the events you've planned. I've given up on planning 'big' events. Just happy to be back jogging a regular 8k with no hammy or calf pain (the tweaks to my form are helping heaps).

Jog Blog said...

I'm with you Ewen. Every time I plan to run an event(s) it goes pear shaped. It's like the planning is a jinx! My goals are to be (a) painfree, (b) be able to walk painfree, (c) be able to run painfree.