This year I crewed/paced Rob Donkersloot from Perth and it was great to be part of his special achievement/adventure. It is such a tough event. Congrats! Rob.
Each year I have crewed/paced @ C2K it has been different - partly because I've crewed/paced for 3 quite different runners and partly because there are so many variables to contend with in such a long and arduous event that how the event unfolds for each runner is completely different.
Having said that, knowing the course really well and fine tuning my pacing/crewing systems and processes definitely made a positive difference, and both Rob and I reaped the benefit of that.
While pacing Rob this year, I ran (and walked where we had to) 64.8km of my own. That added up to my own mini ultra marathon :). When people hear that they often ask me if I am tempted to run C2K myself. The short answer is "no", and there are three reasons:
* I'm a flowing, metronome kind of runner and C2K is too jog-walk, stop-start for my liking;
* Sleep deprivation is a killer and so I'm much more interested in multi day running events rather than the relentless of the C2K format; and
* it's just toooooooooooooo long both physically and also mentally in that while I really love running I simply think I'd get bored and that that would do both my head and body in.
While on the face of it, all running may seem the same, the varying format of different events makes it quite a diverse sport, and it is a case of "each to their own". I've narrowed my running preferences down to: marathons, multi day running events, and the occasional 100km ultra.

7 comments:
Good to see you crewing @ C2K Two Fruits. You had a hard job with a slow runner who did it tough. Good on him and good on you. It's a tough 2 days & 2 nights for both runner and crew. Do you think you'll ever run it yourself?
It was wonderful to see you there & to get your runner home with a great result.
Short answer to " would I " is no although for years I have had all the info available. There is now too much sealed road for me, give me dirt any day. I didn't think the hills & mountains were too bad. It's just the timing of where they are into the race that makes them difficult. Any on their own are very runnable.
Lack of sleep has always been my downfall, so I now will either stay under 24 hours, or go much longer with planned proper sleep at nights.
Billy went into the race unknowingly with pneumonia in one lung, that caused the lack of breath, caught it from his son in the week before the event.
I totally agree with you Two Fruits. The two negatives of C2K are the sleep deprivation and the terrain. I'm happy to keep crewing but it is not my kind of running fun.
Well done Liz and 2Fs. The most important job ever (except for delivering Christmas cards).
Liz, are we catching up with Ruth & co for after run brunch this weekend?
Not sure Ewen. I haven't heard from Ruth & co re: this w'end. I'd like to catch up tho if that suits everyone. I won't be offended if people want to do own thing without me tho.
Yes, sounds like she was busy with the triathlon. Maybe next weekend.
Sounds like a plan! This Sat - ie, 21/12?
Post a Comment