Friday, January 31, 2014

51 Days

It's been 51 days since I fractured my pelvis. Not that I've been counting the days (or minutes!) or anything :).

51 days is 7.2 weeks which leads me to think that there must be some reasonable evidence base to the estimate that pelvic stress fractures take 8-10 weeks to heal since it has only been in the last week that I've actually start to feel enough of an improvement to believe that a complete recovery may be on the horizon.

I don't believe in "wishing your life away" but I am wishing away the next 2-3 weeks as I'm impatient to be fully recovered and back to normal run training.

Having said all of the above, after progressing through the various stages of grief and accepting my injury for what it is and the recovery time involved, I've made the most of my rehab/cross training and feel confident that while I may have lost some run specific fitness I have maintained some good general fitness, including good aerobic capacity, which I hope can transform into run specific fitness within a reasonable amount of time when I return to consistent run training. Time will tell, as it always does.

4 comments:

Jog Blog said...

Nearly 52 days .... That's another step/day closer to full recovery :)

Two Fruits said...

The run fitness won't take long to come back. But patience is still required and don't expect miracles from day 1. Looks like the recovery process has been according to the normal estimates. Rules like 10% still apply. Well done on progress so far.

Ewen said...

I'm sure you'll start back with easy jogging. Don't let your x-trained fitness overpower your legs. Here's to the next 21 days and a normal routine (including coffee catch-ups!).

Jog Blog said...

Your comment is very timely and very apt Ewen. It's definitely the case that it would be unwise for my mind to run away from my legs at this point in time. The more I think about it the more I can see the merit in your injury rehab strategy - ie, that you may as well let your aerobic fitness decline while your body repairs and then build both up simultaneously. Wish I'd thought of that before now. It could have helped me to rehab/come back slowly/properly (in the holistic sense) and be less frustrated with the process once I could run a bit - ie, a few minutes.