An hour later and after an extensive examination and videoing of my running gait on a treadmill, the podiatrist also concluded that I had much to gain by getting orthotics. Admirably however, he suggested I try some temporary orthotics for three weeks before proceeding with getting ones specifically moulded to my feet. His rationale was that if the temporary orthotics caused pain in any other part(s) of my knee(s) then he'd either adjust the type he made for me - either in design or composition - or if if any new pain caused was prohibitive he'd abandon the recommendation. Naturally I had even more faith in his recommendation that orthotics would be good for me simply because of his modest and even handed approach - ie, he was clearly not just going to dive into making and selling me very expensive orthotics no matter what.
The podiatrist actually gave me two pairs of temporary orthotics to try for the next three weeks - one pair for running in and another pair for use in my every day shoes. The main difference between the two pairs being that the running pair are much more "built up" and made of a different compound to the others. I've been diligent about wearing the every day orthotics and I've had three short runs in the running shoe ones. So far, so good - ie, no new/different knee pain and a different, more relaxed feeling through the arches of my feet, up through my lower legs and around my knees when running. I'm sure I'm not imagining it.
Also, when running with the orthotics in the sound of my feet hitting the ground sounds different to running without them. With the osteoarthritis and valgus knees I've become a very profound heel striker, which I never used to be. With the orthotics in it feels like I'm reverting to being more of a mid foot striker. All up and so far, I'm optimistic that orthotics may be an answer to some of my knee issues. They may not be a miracle cure but any improvement which gives me less pain and more running time is a big plus for me. This may at least be the start of "new running" for me :)
And for anyone who needs an image of the pain of running on osteoarthritic knees, take a good look at this photo of me running in the Kep 100km ultra a few weeks ago. Just check out those big, ugly, angry osteoarthritic knees. I can feel the pain just looking at the pic.

5 comments:
I've been surprised at how many of my running mates have told me they run with orthotics and I never knew. I wonder how common it is among all runners. Who of my blog readers run with orthotics?? Do tell.
Yes, unpretty knees!
No orthotics for me, but nothing against them if they reduce your pain. Have known runners who've eventually tossed orthotics (after running in them long enough to presumably build up weak leg muscles from the different foot landing).
Hard (fibreglass) orthotics are expensive, and have known some to cause blisters. Last longer than soft ones and need less frequent adjustment. Give it a go - nothing to lose except shopping money ;-)
I was prescribed orthotics long ago but they caused shin splints when I ran in them. I still walk in them!
Ewen, the old style orthotics seem to have mostly had a fibreglass component and most people I know who have had them have said that any benefit they provided was quickly offset by the negatives - ie, blisters from the edges of the orthotics. Fortunately, most of the more modern orthotics are made of different, less abrasive compounds. Certainly the temporary ones I have are and I trust the ones specifically tailored to my feet/knees will be of similar composition.
I wonder Speedygeoff if the shin splints may also have been attributed to the old style, fibreglass based orthotics? I've had no shin pain thus far. Fingers, toes, fee and knees crossed :) !
They should be OK then. May need small adjustments after a while though. I'd expect some muscle/tendon soreness for a while. Need to get used to them, which is stating the obvious!
Post a Comment