Saturday, July 13, 2013

Any Progress Is Progress

I'll keep this blog update short and simple in line with how my running has been this week.

Short and simple is fine with me when it = the most painfree running I've had in ~2years. The time off running I have had with the ruptured Baker's Cyst combined with the (temporary) orthotics I am trialling have definitely made a positive difference. I'm cautiously VERY happy about all of that :)

But .... the BIG "note to self" is - "Don't get ambitious. Don't get complacent. Short and simple running with less pain does not mean running longer and/or more complex (ie, harder, hillier etc) will be the same. In other words, keep it in perspective; keep it short and simple; at least for now".

5 comments:

Ewen said...

That's great news!

I'll be sure to remind you about the BIG NOTE. Are you running daily? I've become a fan of similar length daily runs as a way to monitor day to day recovery. Have done a couple of longer runs recently though as prep for City to Surf.

Jog Blog said...

Hi Ewen. No, not running daily for two reasons - (1) to keep myself in line with that "note to self" and (2) because I am not only really enjoying my gym sessions but I'm also positive that they are helping my running be less painful and so I think I should stick with them.

Ewen said...

Good reasons Liz.

Hey, I've just found these - might try a pair in my poorly cushioned Virratas - http://www.superfeet.com.au/

Also, bought some Hoka One One Bondis today!

Jog Blog said...

The whole insoles-orthotics continuum is all new to me. I'm very pleased with my new (temporary) running orthotics. I hope the ones that are moulded to my feet and specifically built for me are even better :) Interestingly, the new (temporary) ones I have for my every day shoes are nowhere near as comfortable.

I'll be interested to hear your verdict on the Bondis. I love my Hoka trail shoes but have been disappointed with my Bondis. They are the same size etc but are wider and they run sloppy on my narrow feet :(

Ewen said...

Love them - made concrete feel like soft dirt on yesterday's run. I have wide feet, so good for me (could be wider to be perfect). Like that Bondis are the lightest of the Hokas.