Why is it so easy to get behind and so hard to catch up? It's a question that applies to both running and life in general. Perhaps that's why running is such a great analogy for life.
It's been a couple of weeks since my last blog entry. Everything is now more settled. Capital I and Little A are off enjoying their newfound independence, and while Special K and I are still adjusting to not having them around all the time, we are also enjoying our newfound independence :)
On the running front, two things have happened - (1) I have established a great new training routine which I no longer see as an interim thing while waiting for my knees to improve, but rather, a new blend of training which suits the new type of runner I am becoming. (2) I have been to the orthopaedic surgeon and considered all my options re: both the ruptured Baker's Cyst and the underlying and worsening osteoarthritis in my knees. (1) and (2) are related in that the prognosis for my knees continuing to be able to pound out marathons and ultra marathons is poor and so now I am fully embracing cross training that is more specific or more beneficial to running per, rather than just general cross training which is mostly of just a general fitness benefit, and I'm re-defining myself as a runner. I am coming to see myself simiply as "a runner" rather than "a marathon runner" or "an ultra marathon runner" or even "a long distance runner". After all, like most runners, as a runner what I mostly want to do is run. How far is of less importance.
So, that's where I'm at right now. I've caught up :)

2 comments:
Woohoo! I hate getting behind. Always am in races lately ;-)
Glad you've settled into a routine that's working. Nothing wrong with being just a runner. Destination races where you race the 5 or 10k leave you much fresher for shopping!
That's right Ewen. Short races = more time for coffee, shopping etc, etc. Every cloud has a silver lining :)
Post a Comment