On the same weekend I went to Perth to run the Kep 100km Ultra (in which I sadly DNF-ed - see previous posts), Little A went overseas on her planned 6 month gap year adventure, and Capital I moved into a group house with two of his uni friends. So, when I returned from Perth, all sad and sorry for myself, that feeling was compounded by the biggest "empty nest" feeling :( Essentially, our home downsized by 50% in one weekend. In terms of washing and food consumption though it's probably more like 75%!
While it is going to take some getting used to, Special K and I are adjusting. We are thankful that we have two well adjusted adult kids who are out there taking on the world, and we are just as thankful for Facebook and mobile phones etc so they don't feel so far away, even if they are.
Of course the other thing that has downsized over the last two weeks has been my run training. The results of the ultrasound showed that the Baker's Cyst behind my knee cap is >2.5cm and if the few attempts I've had at running are any indication, it is not improving at all yet. I've run a few kms on 3 separate occasions and each time my leg has been excruciatingly painful from the first step and the numbness has returned within the first 1km. Clearly, I'm not meant to be running yet.
When one thing downsizes though, another upsizes. So that it isn't the size of my butt that upsizes, I have been upsizing my cross training/gym work :) It's not the same as running but it's better than running in agony.
7 comments:
Knee specialist's appointment is on 28/6/13. Thats the earliest I could get in.
Clearly! You could have 24 days off running, like I did...
Go for the upsized muscles - you'll be thrashing CJ in arm-wrestles before you know it!
BTW, you should get yourself a Xootr - can get in a one-legged aerobic workout if you want.
So tempting to add an Xootr to my repertoire of cross training toys. Cost?? And link to supplier's website??
Between $298 and $348 new + postage. Also, I bought the optional shoulder strap. http://xootr.com.au/
Good workout - esp on ANY uphill! Best on smooth bike-path or concrete surface. Not so good on course-chip roads.
Reasonable cost - ie, approx same amount as a couple of pairs of running shoes :) I wonder how many kms it's reasonable to expect to get out of a Xootr?
Don't know, but there's not much to go wrong! All the parts are available - wheels, bearings etc if they do wear out. The whole machine is well made. They're made for Americans, so a big weight limit - 300lbs for mine. If you're lighter, they're not going to be under as much stress.
Post a Comment