I failed in my bid to run/finish the Kep 100km Ultra today. I was fairing pretty well up until ~50km and then my left leg went completely numb from the groin to the ankle and I couldn't feel it at all. It happened progressively, starting behind my knee and then spreading in both directions - up to the groin and down to the ankle. I've never experienced such a thing and it freaked me out completely. With a strong history of stroke deaths in my family, when it got worse and worse, my mind just took control and "pulled rank", and made me quit just before the 61km checkpoint.
While on the one hand it was gut wrenchingly disappointing, on the other hand when 5+ hours later the numbness was only just starting to subside into pain (lots) - (and that was after a mega dose of Aspirin) - I figured my mind had taken control at the right time and made the right decision and I wasn't just being soft.
~60km is still a decent run. But ... no matter how good the reason, a DNF never feels good.
7 comments:
I plan to get over my 100km failure by resuming my adherence to the MB 12wbt program. I'd been doing pretty well with my chosen MB 12wbt program prior to the 100km carbo load but then had to let it go for obvious reasons. I think recovery, rest and MB 12wbt resumption may all be good for me right now. How's that for self talk MB??
Go Mish!
Glad the brain was stronger than the emotion. I was watching the streaming of Comrades yesterday evening and was almost emotionally convinced to put it on my bucket list.
Hope you're feeling better soon and you find out some reason for the leg problems. If it starts to swell up you could have blood clots! My hand was going numb in the lead-up to my episode.
Yes Ewen. I've been to the GP today. She thinks it's sciatica related (although I have no back pain) but can't rule out DVT and so I'm off for a scan tomorrow am.
That's good. The ultrasound will rule it out hopefully.
Oh Liz, there's no way in the world you could be classed as "soft" OR a 'failure'! You are one amazing strong woman who had the commonsense to stop in time to avoid possible much bigger problems. That is much braver than continuing. Your health is so important and there will be other ultra events when you have a clean bill of health. The most important thing now is to establish the cause of the problem and follow doctor's orders! Take care and I do hope the scan gives you some answers. xx
The reason for my DNF in the Kep Ultra 100km on Sunday .... scans this morning confirm one big, ugly cyst at back of my left knee which has burst and is leaking evil fluid "everywhere". While the DNF is still a downer, it's nice to know the reason for the whole leg numbness which stopped me in my tracks.
Doesn't sound too good Liz, but great to know the cause. Hopefully the recovery period won't be too long. Take care.
Post a Comment