Sunday, June 24, 2012

Whirlwindy Week

WOW! What a whirlwindy week it has been!

Firstly, an update on last week's post. The good news is that after 4 days on the osteo-arthritis specific anti-inflammatories I really started to notice a difference. By Wednesday I had a significant reduction in both pain and swelling around both knees. Now I can run and walk up and down hills and stairs without wincing :)

The not-so-good news, but the news I fully expected to receive, was that my Xrays showed advanced osteo-arthritis in both knees and established osteo-arthritis in both hips. As per my blog entry last week though, I remain firm in my deicison to manage the pain and joint inflexibility as best I can with the medication, to train smart, and to not have any surgery.

Secondly, an update on life and running this week. After working Monday and Tuesday, (and having my Xrays), Capital I and I flew to New Zealand for a short holiday before he heads off to Europe for the rest of the year. While in (VERY WINDY) Wellington, I took the opportunity to run the Wellington 1/2 Marathon as a training run. Many years ago I ran the marathon here and so the course was familiar to me and wonderfully nostalgic. I thoroughly enjoyed the event and was happy to run 1.38. While not a fast time, I felt strong and fit, just not "fast fit". I felt that the amount of running and cross training I have been doing has kept my endurance and strength up. I just don't have that sharp, top end aerobic fitness and speed at the moment. I may never get that back again now that my osteo-arthritis is going to hold me up.

While it is now Sunday pm and the whirlwindy week is officially over, a new one has just started. Tomorrow morning Capital I and I fly to Brisbane for a few days to visit Queensland University. I'm looking forward to a few short recovery jogs in the (NOT VERY WINDY) warm Brisbane. Mostly though, I am hoping that my knees don't pay me back too painfully for the demands I put on them today. I think that may be a lost hope though as I can already feel that they are not thanking me for it.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

That's good that the drugs are making a difference - hope your knees stay happy enough to let you do the running you want to do.

What are you talking about? 1:38:29 is fast (to me!) - if I ever ran a time like that again I'd retire from half marathoning a happy man! Enjoy Brisie - make sure you get that northern weather warmed up for me.