
Post the Hobart marathon last Sunday, I did more cross training and less running than I normally do this week. 42.2kms on undulating asphalt had made my quads sore and so some low impact days were needed to speed my recovery. I have to say though, even when I don't pull up sore from a marathon, I will often have a few cross-training days immediately after a marathon just to give my body some active recovery time, and to freshen my mind and motivation for my next running endeavour.
Most runners know that cross-training can improve running performance, aid recovery and prevent injury. The two issues that concern most runners, particularly the obsessive and purist among us (who, me??), are (1) choosing a type of cross-training that is enjoyable enough to actually do, and (2) being prepared to do it either routinely and/or when they know they need to but might not want to - eg, when over-tired, post race or when a pre-injury is starting to niggle.
The preferred cross training options for most runners seem to be swimming, biking or gym work. Each has its individual benefits but which is best for running? I don't know the answer to that question. All I know is that if you don't like any of them enough you won't do them and so they won't be of any benefit at all. That is certainly the case for me with swimming - EEEEKKK! And so I think the best form of cross-training is whichever you like enough to do. As long as the cross training gives your body a rest from impact and still keeps you moving then it is achieving what it's meant to achieve.
For many years my main form of cross training was martial arts; specifically Muay Thai kickboxing. It was exceptionally good for my core and upper body strength, fast twitch muscle development, and flexibility. But ...... (there's always a "but") .... like many things I enjoy I can get obsessive and I ended up doing as much kickboxing as I was running. I progressed to competing at an interstate level and had four competitive bouts (3 wins, 1 loss on points). So, while I was getting some running benefits out of my kickboxing I was also getting more and more physically tired over the longer term, and my injury potential was getting higher and higher. About five years ago I stopped competing at kickboxing and started to wind back the training, particularly the sparring and high impact training. Not long after that, the "all or nothing" part of my persona took hold and I realised I couldn't just "half train" and so I left the kickboxing gym, took the core strength and flexibility components of that training away with me, and incorporated them into my own form of cross training. I added to that some non-impact cardio and that is now the cross training formula I have. It works for me.
After having spent this post marathon week combination training, I have freshened up and am looking forward to more running and less cross training this week. In other words, a more normal training week. My mind has also moved on to "what next?" in terms of events. The next two big runs that I am committed to are running the marathon leg of the Melbourne Ironman in Melbourne in March, and then running the Canberra marathon. Both will be novel in their own respects. The former will be a totally new experience in that I've never been part of an Ironman team (I've been part of a Half Ironman team but not a full Ironman) and nor have I ever started running a marathon at ~4pm. That could be challengingly hot :) And the latter will novel in that it will be my first Canberra marathon as a fully fledged Griffin - ie, it will be my 11th Canberra marathon after having achieved Griffin status (10 Canberra marathons) last year. I'm looking forward to both.
4 comments:
You'd be good to have around walking down a laneway late at night in Melbourne ;)
The cross training that looks like fun for me is the Elliptigo bike. Other than that, mountain biking. Agree re the swimming - like a brick doesn't make for much fun.
Looking forward to seeing you finish Canberra wearing your Griffin singlet!
Mmm, there's no link to comment at all on your latest post. I think the problem is something to do with the new 'threaded' comment option from Google. Speedygeoff might be able to help.
I'd try and stick with Blogger. The email reply function works much better than the Wordpress one.
Hang in there, blogger will fix its threaded comment feature soon.
Or, just go in and change your comment setting from embedded to pop-up-window and see if that fixes it. The threaded comment feature will go away and see if comments now work on your latest post.
Speedygeoff's good, but you seem to have a different problem. I can't see a link to leave a comment on new posts. Strange! Make sure you're allowing comments. Some people have comments blocked in the settings.
Post a Comment