2011 has been a good year both generally and in terms of running. I have continued to enjoy our busy, happy home life, and my routine running training. At the same time, I’ve also relished some changes and new challenges including starting a new job in the latter part of the year, incorporating more cross training into my running, and participating in some new/different running events.
Total kilometres for the year: 5239.5km
Significant Races/Events:
· Hobart Marathon
· Stromlo Running Festival Age/Gender Cross Country Handicap
· Stromlo Running Festival Lightning Strike 30km
· Women and Girls 5km Fun Run
· Canberra Marathon
· Sri Chinmoy Half Marathon
· Gold Coast 10km
· Gold Coast Half Marathon
· Townsville Marathon
· Tan Ultra 50km Melbourne
· Sydney Half Marathon
· Melbourne Marathon.
Running/Racing Highlights:
· Running some surprisingly decent times in some shorter races – eg, Women & Girls’ 5km Fun Run – 20.45, Gold Coast Half Marathon – 90.10.
· Running in a few events I’d never run before – eg, Stromlo Running Festival events, Sydney Half Marathon, Townsville Marathon.
· Becoming a Griffin (i.e., recognition of having run 10 Canberra Marathons).
· Crewing for Kerrie B at the 240km Coast to Kosci Ultra marathon.
· Remaining injury free :)
Running/Racing Low Points:
· None in particular.
Running Lessons Learnt:
· I still don’t like swimming and so swimming twice a week won’t be part of my 2012 training plan :)
· Specific gym work and my newfound love of kayaking have added valuable variety and benefit to my training.
2012 Running Plans:
I’ve enjoyed my running so much this year that I’m taking a “when you’re on a good thing, stick to it” approach to 2012. In terms of events I’ll probably run my routine favourites, starting with the Hobart Marathon next weekend, and then the Canberra Marathon in April and the Goldcoast Marathon in July. However, I’d also like to do another ultra marathon (not sure which one yet) and I plan to do the Wild Endurance 100km Walk in the Blue Mountains in May.
To all my blog readers, I hope you have a safe and happy 2012.
5 comments:
Another good year Liz, glad you enjoyed it. Have a better 2012, stay injury free, see you out there some time.
I'd say "see you out there some time" too, but I already have.
I won't see you "out there" (unless you're running in the opposite direction), but I will see you "in there" (at coffee!) and "out there" if you happen to be canoeing while I'm running around the lake.
You've had a good year. Nice km total! Marty Dent tweeted that he ran 5534k but it was his lowest total since '06 (due to a stress fracture).
I'm sure we'll all continue to see each other "out there" on the road/trail and at coffee :)
Ewen, some of the kms the A Team run are incredible. If I ran what Marty et al run in their injury free years, at comparable intensity, I would be injured! Better for us old bods to take a more moderate, insurance policy approach methinks :)
Wow Liz - amazing number of kms and some great achievements there! Happy New Year and the very best of luck in the Hobart Marathon. Unfortunately I won't be able to make coffee on 14th as we will be in Sydney for a triathlon Dave's entered. It will have to be an extra long coffee next time!! There's lots of catching up to do.
Post a Comment