Sunday, September 25, 2011

Running Bits & Pieces

Nothing too profound to report in terms of running this week, just bits and pieces.

I pulled up pretty well from the 1/2 marathon in Sydney last weekend and amazingly, my (sore) knee was no more or less sore than it was before the race (whew!). I think all that shows is that it was far enough down the healing path for the race not to re-injure it. For those interested in the physiology of soft tissue and related healing this IAAF doc is an excellent, evidence based resource: http://www.iaaf.org/mm/Document/imported/42032.pdf.

Training this week has been pretty normal in terms of my routine running sessions but I deliberately kept the intensity low and I re-introduced a couple of short strength sessions as per my plan (see previous blog entries).

Yesterday (Sat) I had plenty of run group options with various groups of my running mates heading off on nice courses at different times but for no particular reason I woke up in a super cranky mood and so I chose to run a grumpy 20km by myself. I was met by GEM on her bike for the latter part of it and we went on to have a nice breakfast at Urban Food afterwards. Not surprisingly, I was so much more smiley by the end of the morning than I was at the beginning. It's been a long term theory of mine that running makes a bad day better and a good day better, and yesterday proved that again :)

Yesterday afternoon I did a little cross training session in the form of my first spring social tennis. It was fun but I played less than average (I didn't even win a set!). There's plenty of room for improvement as the spring/summer rolls on that's for sure.

This week I'm looking forward to getting even more used to my new training program with a little less running (but perhaps better quality??) and a bit more cross training. I will be taking a cautious approach though as the Melbourne Marathon is now only two weeks away and it is more important for me to taper off and freshen up than it is to dive into Wonder Woman training.

Finally, it may have been a scrappy nail biter, but I'm delighted that Collingwood won and is into the grand final. I've been a Collingwood supporter since I was ~5yrs old! Go the 'pies!!

3 comments:

Ewen said...

Don't want to make you grumpy, but I was cheering for the Hawks! I reckon your theory about running making a bad day better is on the mark... but that doesn't help me when most of my running is after work ;)

Jog Blog said...

Regardless of who you support, some times it is so close that you wish there could be two winners. Such is (sporting) life.

speedygeoff said...

Ewen is always a winner, I think he barracks for every AFL side.